Sign in to follow this  
ARO

First time coues deer newbie

Hi All,

I am an avid whitetail/turkey hunter in Maryland, and been out west a hand full of times, but never have hunted coues deer before. I have 7 pts and have been researching coues deer units for a dec rifle hunt. I prefer to do my hunts DIY, but not opposed to using a guide if I have too. Since I would not be able to really scout with boot leather, is this a hunt a newbie could do? Or should I bite the bullet and hire a guide?

Looking foward to any info

If you are familiar with glassing and hunting for other big game in western states, then I think you could probably do it. But coming from out of state and with no experience with Coues and no time to scout, you might really benefit from hiring a guide. We have many great guides that sponsor this site. If you decide to go with a guide, I would check their webpages out. You can find links to their services on the main http://www.coueswhitetail.com website...look in the righthand margin at the button ads for the links.

• Like 1

ARO- You could easily get a leftover tag for oct. come out hunt and see what you think without buring your points. most coues hunting is in very rugged country and excellent optics and a long range rifle help.