Sign in to follow this  
ARO

Wild Wyoming Bison

Got extremely lucky in 2009 and drew a NR bison tag in Wyoming. The wife and I headed out to Jackson the last week of Oct to try and kill a Tatanka. We hunted hard for 6 days, but could not connect on one. Saw plenty in the park, and had a close call mid week. By the time we got to them, an outfitter had shot 2 out of the group, and the rest headed for the hills. I headed back to MD empty handed, but told the wife I wanted to come back out in Dec, since the tag was good till Jan 3rd.

Flew back to Jackson solo mid Dec to try again. After a 4 hour hike, I was able to spot some tracks in the snow, and followed them till I caught up with a group of 6 bulls. Ended up taking my bull in the very north corner of the NER. Had to hire Tag-n-drag to bring horses and sleds in to get the bison out. It was an experience of a lifetime.....literally!

bison.jpg

bisonskull.jpg

105_1320.jpg

105_1340.jpg

Thanks. We found the those grizzly tracks on the first trip, Needless to say we kept looking over our shoulder, all day.... :unsure:

Wow ...wow and WOW....welcome and congrats on what looks to have been a great time.

AWESOME! Way to hang in there and get the job done! Congrats, Looks like a great bull! Thanks for sharing the great pictures! Beautiful place. Welcome to the site!

Lance

Thanks everybody. The only bummer of the whole experience, was a lesson learned the hard way. It was minus 22 F, the day I shot him, by far the coldest I've ever hunted in. When I went to take pix of him, my camera was toast. So I used my cell phone, and sent my wife the 2 pix you see. Then when I got home and went to get the pix off the mini sd card, it somehow got formatted , and all the pix were lost. So the only 2 pix I actually got of the bison, are those 2 grainy pix. The other pix are from the first trip. I'm still beside myself for letting that happen.

On a side note, I completely understand when people talk about a different kind of cold out west. If it was that cold here by the ocean, it would hurt your skin to go outside....lol