Sign in to follow this  
coloradomuley

plains game bullet selection

I am heading to the dark continent for the first time and was wondering what bullets have preformed well in the past. I am shooting my 300 RUM, I usually shoot 180 gr barnes tsx bullets at about 3200. The largest animals I will be hunting include kudu and gemsbok all the way down to impala and springbok. I think this load should do the trick but was curious what others have found in thier travels. Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks

Kudu and gemsbok actually don't need premium bullets, and I've killed springbuck and impala in their tracks with the lowly .222. Eland, wildebeest and zebra are the toughest critters you'll encounter (except for elephant, buffalo and rhino) in Africa, but your 180 grain Barnes should do just fine. I shoot 175-grain Nosler Partitions in my 7 mm Remington Magnum, but it's only because Partitions are all I've ever used on large African antelope. They've always done what I wanted done, so I've felt no need to try other bullets.

Best of luck on your first safari. If you are like everyone else, just one won't be enough. It's like trying to eat just one potato chip.

Bill Quimby

The TSX/TTSX loads work wonders.

I shot a 168 out of my 300 wsm for animals from reedbok to kudu and it worked amazingly on all animals.