Sign in to follow this  
Muley73

New to Coues

I have enjoyed reading this site for sometime and finally decided to get an account. I have wanted to hunt Coues deer for many years now and finally applied for Unit 27 in NM this week. Just looking for any advice on Unit 27 and in Coues deer hunting in general. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I actually pull a tag this year and hopefully start and addiction!

True statement AZSLIM...also know that Coues Deer will move through out the day--they will go to water when most deer are bedded up and they will always get up and move out of the sun if it is warm.

Of course this is my experience and may not be the same for others but i hope it helps.

Very good advice!!!

Agree on good optics, tripod, patience, glass any part of the day.

but also GET OFF THE ROADS to get away from hunting pressure/traffic, scout...learn areas, national forest and blm maps....study them and have them with you.

1332777048[/url]' post='300871']

buy good optics, mount them to a tripod, climb the tallest hill around and start glassing

And when you think you are glassing through an area slow enough...slow down more and pick apart every bush, stump rock and clump of grass.

Muley73,

Welcome to the site.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, where you live, etc.

Do you have good optics and a tripod? If so, you have that out of the way.

Next comes practice, and persistence. It becomes rewarding once you know

where to look and when.

If you haven't done so already, read Duwane Adams' "How To Hunt Coues Deer" book.

Amanda sells it in the store of this site. It has some helpful advice and you can learn from the best.

thanks for joining and I look forward to reading about your adventures and eventual successes.

Thanks for the info guys. I currently am using 10X42 Cabelas Euros, 15X56 Minox and a Vortex 20-60 spotter. I spend a lot of time behind the glasses hunting mule deer and elk so I at least have a foundation to build on. My brother actually guided on the Kaibab for Duane for 3 years and that is what got him intrested in Coues deer. He was able to harvest a 90 inch buck year before last and has been relentless on getting me to also put in. I am hoping that between the two of us we can draw tags and I can see what it is all about first hand.

Welcome to the site. All good advise from everyone and look beyond the forum thru cwt. There's a ton of info to be had. Sounds like you're on the right track to becoming a good coues hunter. Follow your brothers advise and those here and I'm sure we'll be seeing your success stories if you draw the lucky tag. :)

TJ

Chef,

Yes Jordan is my brother. It was actually my other younger brother that you hunted in NM with last year. There are three of us.

I actually went down this year with them this year and was able to shoot a real nice ram about a half mile from where you shot yours last year. It was a great time I'm starting to get addicted to NM!

If you're ever in the area, get in contact with me.

I'll take you out. Your brother has been kind to me.

I'll return the favor two-fold.

If you're ever in the area, get in contact with me.

I'll take you out. Your brother has been kind to me.

I'll return the favor two-fold.

I sure will. Thanks! Jordan said you guys had a great time last year. I was sure glad we did not have to deal with the same weather this year. He said your hunt was brutal!

Well it looks like I am going on my first Coues hunt. Cant believe I actually drew on my first try. Super excited to see a new area and hunt a new species!