jmwarren65

12A Spring Turkey 2012

I'm heading up to 12A for the spring gobbler hunt. Never hunted there before. Taking my 15 year old son with me as well. He's thrilled he gets out of high school for a couple of days. I am calling Game and Fish later this week, then the Forest Service to see what info they can share. I read some of the older posts on 12A here, but feel like i am still in the dark about the unit. Any info is greatly appreciated.

There is a very strong population unit wide on top of the Kaibab Plateau. Follow the snow line and you will do well. I am a big fan of the eastside and have killed lots of birds from Telephone Hill south to Saddle Mtn. Don't overlook Tater Ridge and Dog Point, and just stay with the melting snow line as it climbs...

I am pretty confident that you are going to run into snow, snow, and probably mud and snow. If you only have one weekend to go, I would highly recommend that you call Jacob lake and get a snow report. Then maybe change your plans and go another weekend. If you want to try and hunt lower, there is still turkeys, but usually they will just stay right on the snow line, or stay on top and it can be very difficult to get close to the snow, without being stuck in it. Good luck.

Little Creek Calls: I will be at your seminar. I wasn't aware of it until I read your reply.

Rombo: I am picking up my maps this weekend and will look for the areas you mentioned. I can definitely follow the snow line.

123456: I know for sure I am doing a 4-day weekend hunt on the 11th through the 14th of May. I may go up the last weekend of the season as well, but my son will be at the high school prom that weekend...as a freshman. A senior asked him to go. Kinda proud of him!

I saw in an older post that the main road may be closed. Does that road open on a specific day each year or is it opened when the snow level drops? My question is: how much of the unit is accessible if the main highway is closed?

thanks for the advice!

I will be up in 12A this Thursday through Sunday. I will give you a report when I return.

That would be great. I'm heading up on the 11th and staying through the 14th. I hope they are still gobbling that late.

Keep us posted on how you do!

I just got back from 12a a couple days ago. And I am very disappointed. cover a lot of ground and did not hear one bird.But we did see birds two days in a row and that was it.

I just returned from a weekend in 12A. Turkey hunting is nothing like what it was when I used to hunt there in the 80's and early 90's. Back then the camp would always limit. This weekend, hunting was a little tougher. I hunted the eastside and took a great bird on Friday morning. Gobbled only once, but that was enough. Wind blew all day Friday and Saturday, but we were able to get our second bird to gobble Friday night and he covered 350 yards in five minutes to his demise. Other two groups of hunters in our camp only saw one hen each, both hunting the westside. Birds are very tough to find this year, but stick to the areas with perenial water!! Gobble Gobble!

Just got home from a long 4 day weekend of hunting in 12A. Beginning Friday morning through this morning...absolutely no gobbling at all. No responses to any of our calls. We checked every tank or cachement we could find. No tracks at any of them. Only 1 tank had 2 tracks so we sat there and waited. Nothing. Saw lots of does, maybe 50 during the entire weekend. One of them came to within 15 yards of the blind my son and I were sitting in. She couldn't figure us out. She stuck out her nose and tried to catch our scent, but couldn't (thanks scent-a-away).

Best part of the trip was to find a live procupine on the top side of my dad's spare tire when we had to fix his flat tire at the Marble Canyon bridge.

To everyone who offered afvice and tips, i greatly appreciate it. I believe we were in good turkey area, hunting them this late is next too impossible.

Finally...here are the pics I said I would upload. Two are of the porcupine under the truck. In the last one, the porcupine is crossing the highway. It hid behind the railing and watched us before disappearing. I don't know if anyone every returned it to the woods.

post-8100-0-09729200-1343009471_thumb.jpg

post-8100-0-22751200-1343009483_thumb.jpg

post-8100-0-70442300-1343009494_thumb.jpg

On 4/2/2012 at 7:40 AM, Little Creek Calls said:

I am doing a seminar on Thursday at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Mesa at 6PM. If you live in town come on over and I will bring a map and share a few spots with you.

You still around haha ?