Sign in to follow this  
glasmup

When do antelope horns stop growing!

I've noticed growth on them into September, I had a ton of pics of a big buck in 19A a few years back and he definitely added an inch to inch and a half on length and a lot of mass from when I found him in mid July to my hunt in mid/late August. If it's a big buck now, it's gonna be a really nice one come this fall, look at prong length and top mass right now, the rest will come and those two will get even better with time.

Typically in September, but heard of many rumors of guys that even after the harvest they get more inches out of them :( . They install the horns in their special condition, and they grow them.:unsure: Some guys are always looking for more inches! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I guess i have a couple of real good ones found then! Does anyone else think that horn growth tends to be better on drier winters vs wet winters?

I think it is more about genetics than cooler, wetter, or hotter weather. If we were like Wyoming where they freeze all the time i think it would have a huge influence on horn growth---remember that horns are made out of hair and the same thing we have in our fingernails. If our fingernails freeze they will stop growing or fall off.

The bucks in Unit 21 are pretty much from Utah and Colorado i believe and the genetics are just not there to grow 90" bucks--however, there were some big bucks in there many years ago and the blood is still there so eventually the bucks will start getting bigger (IMO)

19A has always had monsters in there but what a lot of folks do not realize is that the majority of those antelope were taken off of the Anderson Mesa back in the day so you know that the genetics are on the Anderson and all through 5B and 5A...ironically the game and fish transplanted a bunch of antelope back to the Anderson and 5A from 19A a few years ago.

I'm hoping that in Unit 21, they stop growing the 1st week of September....

I'm hoping that in Unit 21, they stop growing the 1st week of September....

I assure you Marshall--at least one will and he will wear your tag in pride!!!

So when is it? I've been seeing some pretty good bucks already but I'm sure they have more to go....

So what say y'all....... Eli???

Arizona antelope society published a report of a 10 year study completed in New Mexico. Maximum growth was typically at 4-5 years of age. After that growth deminished each year after.

I think it is more about genetics than cooler, wetter, or hotter weather. If we were like Wyoming where they freeze all the time i think it would have a huge influence on horn growth---remember that horns are made out of hair and the same thing we have in our fingernails. If our fingernails freeze they will stop growing or fall off.

The bucks in Unit 21 are pretty much from Utah and Colorado i believe and the genetics are just not there to grow 90" bucks--however, there were some big bucks in there many years ago and the blood is still there so eventually the bucks will start getting bigger (IMO)

19A has always had monsters in there but what a lot of folks do not realize is that the majority of those antelope were taken off of the Anderson Mesa back in the day so you know that the genetics are on the Anderson and all through 5B and 5A...ironically the game and fish transplanted a bunch of antelope back to the Anderson and 5A from 19A a few years ago.

Ok this is an old post I know however I am excited about my goat tag and when I read this it reminded me of the suplaments they sale to make hair and nails grow longer somehow I need to figure out how to get a buck to start taking those suplaments now so he is a monster come September