JakeL

How do you hunt the Kaibab?

I have (very) little experience hunting the Kaibab plateau during August. I have had less success... I am wondering how most of you hunt the plateau during the archery hunt. I've found that spot and stalk is somewhat difficult with most of the areas being wooded. Still hunting slowly is also quite hard, because its hard to cover reasonable amounts of ground while being quiet in the peak of the dry august heat. Heck, still hunting is hard anywhere, its just a challenging way to hunt, period. I don't hunt from treestands. And blinds near water often result in more hunter confrontation than hunting, so its not dependable. Its a challenging but rewarding area to hunt. I'm just curious what strategies you guys use to maximize your effectiveness in the kaibab archery hunts.

Have you had much trouble with other hunters at the water? Most guys up there are usually civil and polite, but it still can be a rat race to be the first come and first served. (maybe I hunted the wrong water :unsure:

Heavy trails between water/feed can be good either by tree stand or ground blind. If a guy(s) are sitting the hole, sit the most used ave of approach 300-400 yards off the water or move to anobther area. Less pressure and more activity on waterholes that have had the roads to em shut down. Areas with lots of lupine (purple flower) are good feed for deer. Lots of trails not far from the roads just out of sight from the road hunters.

I passed on a couple small ones and stalked a couple real nice ones but didn't get the shot. I hunt all day, dark to dark. Make sure u have a turkey tag too.

Haven't been up since it went to archery draw but thats my .02. Once I cash out my points (10) Ill probably put in for this hunt and get back up there.

I love the spot and stalk method but get skunked a lot! I believe waters the best option, if you can find a seep or tank nobody is sitting. When all else fails we'll set up a few ground blinds on the edge of the meadows and try to catch them coming to feed just before dark.

In my opinion, the key to bowhunting the Kaibab Plateau is truly understanding what the deer are doing in terms of feeding and bedding. It took quite a few years to understand it (I've bowhunted it for close to 30 years) but once I understood what the deer were doing, it increased my success dramatically. I've found the best food source is lupine followed closely by buck brush. BOTH of these food sources grow on top of the flat ridges. They will also feed on older aspen leaves, but this is not a consistent food source. Once you understand where they're feeding (top of ridges) and bedding (darker timber off sides of ridges), then you'll have a better plan of still-hunting them. Scouting is key, as when you see quality bucks, they won't be far away (within a few ridges).

Cool air blows down the ridges (in terms of elevation). I like to still hunt just off the top of the ridges with the wind in my face. About every 15-25 yards, I peek up on the top of the ridge and glass. I continue this process until I find a feeding buck I want to shoot or the thermals change and begin to blow up the ridges once the air warms. When that occurs, I walk across the flat ridges and hunt the opposite side of the ridge and hunt back to where I started. Since most of the ridges are flat and wide, you are basically hunting the other half of the ridge on a new hunt. If you're confident in the area (based on scouting) you'll increase your chances of getting a close shot at them. I was lucky enough to arrow a 203" non-typical buck that I saw a few times......I stuck with the area and ended up arrowing after two weeks of hunting him. Another thing to consider is to walk quietly. I NEVER still-hunt there without cat paws attached to by boots, which reduce noise significantly.

Guys do sit water, but honestly, most of the BIG bucks do not make a habit of visiting water holes during daylight hours. If they did, they'd never make it past 3 years old, as they'd get whacked beforehand. If you're happy with any buck, a water source will be a place to sit.

I have not hunted the Bab' the last few years (been hunting CO), however, I scout it annually. In my opinion, its deer herd is in trouble. A lot of 2-3 year old bucks and very few mature deer (compared to years past). I'll save my points until it recovers. But you never know, you could find that one giant still roaming there.......that's what makes it a magical place. Hope it helps.....good luck and hope you stick a nice one!

• Like 6

In my opinion, the key to bowhunting the Kaibab Plateau is truly understanding what the deer are doing in terms of feeding and bedding. It took quite a few years to understand it (I've bowhunted it for close to 30 years) but once I understood what the deer were doing, it increased my success dramatically. I've found the best food source is lupine followed closely by buck brush. BOTH of these food sources grow on top of the flat ridges. They will also feed on older aspen leaves, but this is not a consistent food source. Once you understand where they're feeding (top of ridges) and bedding (darker timber off sides of ridges), then you'll have a better plan of still-hunting them. Scouting is key, as when you see quality bucks, they won't be far away (within a few ridges).

Cool air blows down the ridges (in terms of elevation). I like to still hunt just off the top of the ridges with the wind in my face. About every 15-25 yards, I peek up on the top of the ridge and glass. I continue this process until I find a feeding buck I want to shoot or the thermals change and begin to blow up the ridges once the air warms. When that occurs, I walk across the flat ridges and hunt the opposite side of the ridge and hunt back to where I started. Since most of the ridges are flat and wide, you are basically hunting the other half of the ridge on a new hunt. If you're confident in the area (based on scouting) you'll increase your chances of getting a close shot at them. I was lucky enough to arrow a 203" non-typical buck that I saw a few times......I stuck with the area and ended up arrowing after two weeks of hunting him. Another thing to consider is to walk quietly. I NEVER still-hunt there without cat paws attached to by boots, which reduce noise significantly.

Guys do sit water, but honestly, most of the BIG bucks do not make a habit of visiting water holes during daylight hours. If they did, they'd never make it past 3 years old, as they'd get whacked beforehand. If you're happy with any buck, a water source will be a place to sit.

I have not hunted the Bab' the last few years (been hunting CO), however, I scout it annually. In my opinion, its deer herd is in trouble. A lot of 2-3 year old bucks and very few mature deer (compared to years past). I'll save my points until it recovers. But you never know, you could find that one giant still roaming there.......that's what makes it a magical place. Hope it helps.....good luck and hope you stick a nice one!

I'm no expert but I'd listen to this guy!!

• Like 1

Bohntr is the man.

You could just do what everyone else does; drive your quad around all day with your bow on your lap.

+2 Bohnter has helped me a few times and his advice works every time .

Thanks guys.

Theres a lot of great information in here. I like what I'm hearing too. Its getting me excited for august... how many days?... :rolleyes:

" In my opinion, its deer herd is in trouble. A lot of 2-3 year old bucks and very few mature deer (compared to years past). "

Bohntr:

I am not a biologist, but I have read, traveled and observed a lot in my time, and I can tell you that seeing lots of young animals is widely accepted by knowledgeable wildlife managers around the world as a sign of a healthy herd -- unless that population threatens to exceed the carrying capacity of the habitat, of course.

It is for certain that a population of anything -- including humans -- is in trouble if the majority of that population represents an old-age class.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I am not a biologist, but I have read, traveled and observed a lot in my time, and I can tell you that seeing lots of young animals is widely accepted by knowledgeable wildlife managers around the world as a sign of a healthy herd -- unless that population threatens to exceed the carrying capacity of the habitat, of course.

It is for certain that a population of anything -- including humans -- is in trouble if the majority of that population represents an old-age class.

Bill Quimby

Mr. Quimby:

Well sir, I believe you misunderstood my statement. When I stated "a lot of 2-3 year bucks", what I should clarify is that of the bucks actually seen and scouted, most branch antlered bucks were only 2-3 year old deer at best. This carries over to the actual hunts, as well, since very few mature deer taken during the rifle hunt as compared to historical data captured by G&F from the 80's through the late 90's. The overall deer numbers are also at an all-time low. That, sir, is a huge problem when you're managing and advertising an area as a "trophy unit". If you are managing a trophy unit, that unit should support a fair representation of older age class deer as well as younger deer.

From my days as a game warden I can share this with you as well. A herd that consists of mostly 2-3 year old deer is not always a good indication of a healthy herd in terms of game management. You must have older-age class animals as well. It can be, unfortunately, a sign of over-harvest and/or an area where severe winter-kill takes most older-age class deer. The later is not the issue on the Kaibab, in my opinion, which leaves you only one choice.

Those of us on this board that have some historical knowledge of the Bab' understand its potential and ability to produce record class animals. Unfortunately, I believe the revenue and publicity generated from the junior doe hunts and over-amount of tags issued is directly related to the lowest population ever recorded on the plateau and the rarity of B&C class animals.

Sorry to have to side-track the original posters thread, but I needed to answer Mr. Quimby.

• Like 3

I'm no expert but I'd listen to this guy!!

+1

Bill Quimby

Mr. Quimby:

Well sir, I believe you misunderstood my statement. When I stated "a lot of 2-3 year bucks", what I should clarify is that of the bucks actually seen and scouted, most branch antlered bucks were only 2-3 year old deer at best. This carries over to the actual hunts, as well, since very few mature deer taken during the rifle hunt as compared to historical data captured by G&F from the 80's through the late 90's. The overall deer numbers are also at an all-time low. That, sir, is a huge problem when you're managing and advertising an area as a "trophy unit". If you are managing a trophy unit, that unit should support a fair representation of older age class deer as well as younger deer.

From my days as a game warden I can share this with you as well. A herd that consists of mostly 2-3 year old deer is not always a good indication of a healthy herd in terms of game management. You must have older-age class animals as well. It can be, unfortunately, a sign of over-harvest and/or an area where severe winter-kill takes most older-age class deer. The later is not the issue on the Kaibab, in my opinion, which leaves you only one choice.

Those of us on this board that have some historical knowledge of the Bab' understand its potential and ability to produce record class animals. Unfortunately, I believe the revenue and publicity generated from the junior doe hunts and over-amount of tags issued is directly related to the lowest population ever recorded on the plateau and the rarity of B&C class animals.

Sorry to have to side-track the original posters thread, but I needed to answer Mr. Quimby.

I agree