naturegirl

my first turkey and a 10" beard!

Great bird, how long were his Spurs as this is how you can kind of get a age from...

his spurs were short and very very dull/rounded. looked nothing like the pics I've seen on here. its the first tom any of us have seen ip close. not sure what his spurs mean? do they get dull with old age? his beard was long and all black except maybe 1 or 2 burgundy colored pieces. I don't think he was really young to have a dark long beard. are his spurs deformed? I couldn't tell u but maybe u guys can tell me??

his spurs were short and very very dull/rounded. looked nothing like the pics I've seen on here. its the first tom any of us have seen ip close. not sure what his spurs mean? do they get dull with old age? his beard was long and all black except maybe 1 or 2 burgundy colored pieces. I don't think he was really young to have a dark long beard. are his spurs deformed? I couldn't tell u but maybe u guys can tell me??

Usually spurs go from nubs on Jakes to an inch plus on older birds...However a Biologist would have to come into this to tell us for sure on aging. I've killed a lot of birds (Not bragging!) and have killed mature birds with no spurs at all to birds with broken, worn spurs...This Texas gobbler has killer spurs and no beard (Beard rot!)...Huge bird though!

post-8681-0-69015700-1337122938_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-11131900-1337123104_thumb.jpg

Hope these pictures help to age my bird. Honestly, I'm just curious as to his age, but I really don't care if he's a jake or he's 5. I'm just thrilled that I even got to see turkeys let alone take a tom!

DSC09425x.jpg

DSC09424x.jpg

DSC09426.jpg

For me, I'd say two to two and a half year old (2 1/2)...Great bird!

Here's another two year old...He had a 10" beard also...

So have you cooked any yet?

post-8681-0-26709000-1337127183_thumb.jpg

Arizona turkey country has very rocky terrain and more often than not older toms will have worn them down to nubs (like yours). Congrats on a big, mature gobbler!