naturegirl

my first turkey and a 10" beard!

what a morning. had then gobbling from multiple roosts around us. 3 of us surrounded 1 roost and he flew right where no one was. we split up and walked around. I saw some turkeys a few hundred yards off and was making a beeline for them when not even 50 yards in front of me I see a different flock. I hid behind a tree. they turned and walked 20 yards in front of me. the big tom started strutting ams I went to take a shot and my gun didn't fire. I cycled it and quickly got a shot off.

I don't know how to post pics from my phone. we measured his beard and base to tip is just shy of 10". Im assuming that's a big older tom.

for everyone else out hunting. both mornings birds would call for about an hour after sunlight and then completely shut down. they would go the opposite direction if we called. we located them the 1st morning with an owl call!

im super happy to finally see a big tom up close.

Christinas1stturkey.jpg

Christinas1stturkey2.jpg

UPDATE - While I was gone taking my turkey back to camp, my husband and our hunting buddy were chased numerous times by a mama bear with a cub. What they say is definitely true about mama bears. They had to fire 3 different warning shots at her because she kept charging them, but they managed to get away safely and didn't have to harm the bear. Needless to say they were both VERY happy to see me and the rhino when I got back.

Whoop Whoop!!! Congrats, that is so exciting! Figure out that phone and let's see some picture!

A BIG congratulations on your big gobbler. I'm with Ilene on this one. Post some pics. :)

TJ

Congrats! I know over the last couple of weeks how excited you were to get to go, glad it turned out great!

Fantastic! Beautiful bird, Congratulations again!!!