Don Martin

Successful Gould's hunt

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to all those who gave me some info on the recent Unit 35A Goulds turkey hunt.

Special thanks to Wayne Kaiser and John Millican from the Huachuca Chapter of NWTF for their help. What a great bunch of guys! Met Matt Braun, the WM there and he is a good guy!

Wayne even came out and spent a day with me even though he was getting ready for his own hunt up north!

The week I spent there was a lot of fun and very educational.

First of all I am glad we have so much border patrol presence down there. Those guys got a tough job trying to keep up with the smugglers- dope and human- who are in the area.

Met some really great folks down there on the hunt, even though my friend Angelo Tiburti got finished very early on opening day.

I think we have got the first bird of the hunt as we had to wait for the sun to come up to get our "Grip n Grin" photos!

His numbers were pretty impressive.

22 lbs, 10.75 inch thick beard and razor sharp 1 1/8 inch perfectly matched spurs. From what I could find out, they don't get much better than that!

And it was all due to the pre-season scouting.

Just like anything else. Success comes much quicker to those that do a lot of pre-season work.

Also met the Pebworth family down there, Ty, his son Ethan and daughter Brook. Brook had the tag and nailed a super gobbler on the evening of opening day!

As we were leaving I met Russ Jacoby, one of the Hunter Ed instructors from Flagstaff, who was going after a big bird with his bow. Hope he did well! That guy is one heck of a bowhunter, I know that!

Anyway here are a couple of photos.

Now I know when I draw a tag I got a pretty good idea on where to start looking down there. Birds aren't everywhere, but once you find them and figure out their patterns, they are a ball to hunt.

Don Martin

post-3669-0-55709200-1336442727_thumb.jpg

post-3669-0-53238700-1336442937_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your tom and how nice to see so many people helping out another hunters hunt. Everyone deserves a big round of applause. :)

TJ

Awesome post Don! Congrats on the goulds. One of these days Don you'll get your chance at them. I've drawn goulds tags twice so it's not that hard. Lol. :). Beautiful birds.

Brian