Sam

Thoughts and Opinions.......

Do you guys still think the turkeys are talking up north? I was up in 3C last weekend and heard very little action. I did get a Tom to come in up to about 80 yards and I blew it. He was very wary to begin with and I think I called too much and spooked him. I didn't have time to set the decoys out. He may have been looking for a hen and when he didn't see one, he probablly decided to take off.

My daughter wants to go back up and I would love for her to get a turkey. But, it is not easy getting a teanager up at 4:00 am. And then it is even worse if the turkey are quiet.

Any input or advice for this warm weather, late season hunt.

Just got back from checking out some turkey spots in 5A, I haven't heard a gobble since Thurs. May 3rd. Friday,Sat, and Sunday it was windy and I didn't go out, but have been out early everyday this week. It's been perfect conditions this week as far as little to no wind, you can hear it seems for a long ways....Nothing....I too would like to hear some opinions. My hunt starts again tomorrow.

I was thinking about going up later this weekend and stay throught the early part of the week but I'm beginning to rethink it. Any updates?

My brother went with his friend who has a tag around the flagstaff area on the 6th of May, and they heard gobbling in the morning. They didn't end up getting one though. So, I would say that there is always a chance.

I'm heading north to 12A tonight...finally!!! I've got eyes on the ground now (grandpa got there yesterday) and it's not looking so good. Little to no gobbling. I still plan to try and roost em at night and then get em early the next morning, otherwise, water holes will be our best option. Its too hot and so late in the season, but this is the only weekend my son could go due to school. So we are going and it will still be better than working on Friday and Monday. Good luck to all of you still hunting.

We will be headed up after school today. My plan is to sit tight with a few decoys out. Call softly and try to get a Tom to come in. Hoping for the wind to be nice and calm. Good luck to everyone if they give it a try. My daughter is excited to go - not sure if she just wants to get away from her little sister or actually sit in the woods all morning :).

Went out last weekend, and as was said before, it was a little too breezy. Heard gobbling from 4:45 to 5:15 am, but after that the woods were silent. Covered a lot of ground, in some of my favorite turkey spots. The birds were there.... they were just quiet (even in the late evening when the wind finally died down). The wind did make for a nice, mid-day nap in the back of the pickup though :)

There's still hope!! Heard a bird this morning at 5:20 , gobbled 4-5 times heading away, nothing after that.

• Like 1

I just got back from my turkey hunt and it was very tough! In 2 1/2 days from 1 hour before light till late at night I covered the entire unit trying to find a gobble. I only had 1 bird that would gobble a couple times after flydown and then shut up and 1 other bird that had a hen and only gobbled once just to let me know not to waste my time on him!

I did successfully run in on the 1 tom that would gobble on flydown but because he would only gobble once every 15-20 minutes I unknowingly set up too close to him and with my first call he shock gobbled in my face and blew outta there.

Last night I changed my strategy and set a decoy up on the only water I found that had a track on it and called very soft and sparingly. About 1 hour before dark last night I finally had a hen and 2 jakes come in. They came in to the decoy and where pecking at it and as they finally walked past me I could see a beard on 1 of em' at 12 yards. That's when I decided it was time to end the misery of this quiet turkey hunt...BOOM,BOOM,BOOM...done! Luckily I borrowed my friend's Benelli and it shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger, it came in handy!

I had the GoPro cam attached to the barrel of the gun and the video is pretty cool! The problem was the adaptor partially blocks the sights and with a 12 yard shot and an extra full choke I wasn't aiming as tight as I needed to... so there's my excuse for the 3 BOOM's! :P ;)

I had 4 gobblers going this morning on the roost and thought it was going to be a slam dunk. When they left the roost, I have no idea where they went, but it sure wasn't to check on my decoys or the hen-calls I was trying to entice them with. They shut up and disappeared. At least it was fun to get all that morning music - I wasn't expecting them to still be gobbling at all.

Well, after trying to trick these birds one more weekend, I realized I must be doing something wrong. Both Sat. and Sunday, there was no gobbling at all until 7:15. The woods were very quiet. At 7:15, same spot as the previous weekend, we had a tom gobble. We set up 2 hen decoys and called softly and sparingly. We waited for 1.5 hours, the tom never came in. Same thing the next day. Except, Sunday, I thought I would call more aggressively. Still did not work.

So, I couldn't figure it out. I did realize that the turkeys you see in the fall, are not around in the spring. For the past 3 years during the deer and elk hunts, we see turkey everywhere and at all times of the day in this area. I guess the hens are sitting on eggs and the toms are held up this time of year.

Good luck if anyone tries this weekend. It is warm, dry and windy.