• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rcdinaz

rcdinaz

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, Hunting, weight lifting, martial arts, Hunting, archery, long range shooting, hunting, anything outdoors.
    Currently addicted to bow fishing!
Thought I would share my set up for target viewing at 1K yards now that I have it working.

I used an old linksys router along with a cheap IP camera and a yagi antenna so I can view the target on my laptop or on my phone. Set up was not that complicated and can be done via the camera viewer software or your browser.

It was pretty cheap as I had an old router so only bought the antenna (x2), camera, and batteries. The batteries can be had from Amazon for less the $10 a piece and will last pretty much all day if fully charged. I aranged all of it on a salvaged pc of conduit as you can see in the pics. Cost would be $200-$250 to set up, does not include the targets.

This eliminates the mirage problems that start to show up around 400 yds and you can record on your laptop to pinpoint hits and misses.

Let me know if anyone wants more details.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1K Cam 1.jpg
  • 1K Cam 2.jpg

Athens Archery Field Staff Shooter
Harpoon - HGO R-120
Bowfishing Team Fishizzle

#2 Pine Donkey

Pine Donkey

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Hunting
Great way to save a lot of walking too. I only fer that one of my friends might yank a shot and...oops!
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

#3 Viper

Viper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Outdoors...archery elk, javelina, deer. Rifle Couse WT. I enjoy riding quads with the wife and dog. The wife and I play softball as much as possible.
That is way cool!! I don't shoot that far, and can usually use a spotting scope. As popular as long range shooting is now, I bet you could market that.

#4 rcdinaz

rcdinaz

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, Hunting, weight lifting, martial arts, Hunting, archery, long range shooting, hunting, anything outdoors.
There are already some on the market, pretty spendy though, I picked up the idea from the LRH site. All I did was make it a lot cheaper, had the router in a box to throw out before I stumbled on to the idea. In the process I learned you could also use a smartphone with a camera if you have cell service but you have to have the phone kind of close and that would be an expensive miss. This is actaully 10-15 feet away from the camera and a BAD miss would cost $100 at the most. I start at 1/10 mil error to the opposite side of the camera for a sighting shot to try and avoid destroying anything. I had too many days in the past where the spotter was only good to about 400-500yds due to mirage in the summer, I have a Swaro 80mm HD and still couldn't see the hits/misses.
Harpoon - HGO R-120

#5 pwrguy

pwrguy

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
That is way cool, I may have to build one of those.
Sometimes my mind wanders; other times it leaves completely

#6 rcdinaz

rcdinaz

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Let me know if you need more details or some close up pics. The biggest issue was figuring out that you have to do a full reset of the settings on a router and remove all of the security which you don't need when your out in the middle of God's country. The security features are just one more way to trip up the camera link back to the laptop/phone.

The batteries you need will be 12V, ~ 1A (mine were 1.2A) camera and router have the same pwr requirements (2 for $18)
The Yagi antennas are from eBay, I used the ones inside a tube so they don't get wrecked in the field or in the truck (about $40 per)
Router Linksys WRT54G (used one is arounf $30)
Camera is TP-Link TL-SC3171 (I paid $90 for mine)
Harpoon - HGO R-120

#7 kazpilot25

kazpilot25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Hunting, Hiking, Gym, Boating
I'm totally interested. Could you PM me some specifics about how you put this thing together/programmed the router?

#8 rcdinaz

rcdinaz

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
I have a one page list for the equipment and setup but wil have to send it over email. If you PM me I will send the attachment your way.
Harpoon - HGO R-120

#9 CouesWhitetail

CouesWhitetail

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,555 posts
very cool!!! Thanks for sharing your setup!!
Amanda Moors
Founder of CouesWhitetail.com
if you have a question or comment about this website, feel free to email me amanda@coueswhitetail.com

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works."
Hebrews 10:24

Posted Image

#10 rcdinaz

rcdinaz

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
I hvae had a few requests for more details. Here is the word document where I kept my notes for reference. Sorry if it is a bit tough to follow as I wrote this for my reference not as a real tutorial.

Let me know if you have questions.

Amanda let me know if there are any issues with posting this or the links to other sites as an example of which products I used spcifically.

Attached Files

Harpoon - HGO R-120

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users