Sign in to follow this  
couesbowhunter1

Calls For Fall Turkey

The Ke-Kee works for the fall, Mainly for the hens. PM Little Creek Calls, he has done well in the fall hunts!

• Like 1

Fall turkey is completely different from a spring hunt but still fun. First you need to decide what type of bird you are willing shoot. I target and mainly hunt for Jakes in the fall. They are usually with the main flocks and can be called in with the flock. Hens are also the same and it is up to you if you want to shoot a hen. It is legal and I have shot 2 fall hens but prefer to shoot jakes. To me the fun in hunting turkey is in the calling and that is why I choose to hunt Jakes and hens in the fall.

To me the most exciting way to hunt turkeys in the fall is to find a flock and try to split them up. Some people use a loud noise, some people use and train dogs to do it for them. I have had good success with just running as fast as I can into the middle of the flock (don’t try this with a loaded gun). The key to this is to try to get the flock to break up and run in two or three different directions. After a getting a good break stay where you broke the flock up and wait about 5 minutes and start calling with assembly hen yelps and kee kee’s. I have shot 3 fall birds using this method. If you know where the birds are roosting you can call them in when they are assembling after fly down. You can also break them up off the roost before fly down and call them back. I did this for two friends that got there birds a few years back but you have to know where they are roosting.

If you are out prospecting and looking for birds use the kee kee. You are imitating a lost baby turkey and they will answer and come in to this more than any other call in the fall. They might occasionally answer regular yelps but will not normally come in. For making kee kee’s I have found mouth calls work best.

I have only had luck with owl and crow locator calls in the spring. I have also never used decoys in the fall but I don’t really use them much in the spring either (I don’t like being tied down to a decoy.

The other productive fall method is find a water hole they frequent and wait. They do come to water in the fall more than they do in the spring. Not as fun and it doesn’t take much skill other than patience but if you are after a nice long beard this might be your best option. The largest bird I have shot in the fall came from sitting water (10” beard). Mature Tom’s are very difficult and I haven’t had any success calling them in the fall. They will either be alone or in bachelor groups. If you break up a bachelor group they don’t feel the need to reassemble like hens.

In trying to locate birds look for what they are eating. In the fall I have found they mostly eat acorns grasshoppers and newly sprouted green grass. First thing in the morning they will target the grasshoppers in more open areas because the grasshoppers are slower from the frost and cold air.

Hope this helps and hope you have a successful hunt. If you have any other questions let me know.

• Like 1

Fall turkey is completely different from a spring hunt but still fun. First you need to decide what type of bird you are willing shoot. I target and mainly hunt for Jakes in the fall. They are usually with the main flocks and can be called in with the flock. Hens are also the same and it is up to you if you want to shoot a hen. It is legal and I have shot 2 fall hens but prefer to shoot jakes. To me the fun in hunting turkey is in the calling and that is why I choose to hunt Jakes and hens in the fall.

To me the most exciting way to hunt turkeys in the fall is to find a flock and try to split them up. Some people use a loud noise, some people use and train dogs to do it for them. I have had good success with just running as fast as I can into the middle of the flock (don’t try this with a loaded gun). The key to this is to try to get the flock to break up and run in two or three different directions. After a getting a good break stay where you broke the flock up and wait about 5 minutes and start calling with assembly hen yelps and kee kee’s. I have shot 3 fall birds using this method. If you know where the birds are roosting you can call them in when they are assembling after fly down. You can also break them up off the roost before fly down and call them back. I did this for two friends that got there birds a few years back but you have to know where they are roosting.

If you are out prospecting and looking for birds use the kee kee. You are imitating a lost baby turkey and they will answer and come in to this more than any other call in the fall. They might occasionally answer regular yelps but will not normally come in. For making kee kee’s I have found mouth calls work best.

I have only had luck with owl and crow locator calls in the spring. I have also never used decoys in the fall but I don’t really use them much in the spring either (I don’t like being tied down to a decoy.

The other productive fall method is find a water hole they frequent and wait. They do come to water in the fall more than they do in the spring. Not as fun and it doesn’t take much skill other than patience but if you are after a nice long beard this might be your best option. The largest bird I have shot in the fall came from sitting water (10” beard). Mature Tom’s are very difficult and I haven’t had any success calling them in the fall. They will either be alone or in bachelor groups. If you break up a bachelor group they don’t feel the need to reassemble like hens.

In trying to locate birds look for what they are eating. In the fall I have found they mostly eat acorns grasshoppers and newly sprouted green grass. First thing in the morning they will target the grasshoppers in more open areas because the grasshoppers are slower from the frost and cold air.

Hope this helps and hope you have a successful hunt. If you have any other questions let me know.

Ok so i have two people saying this call works! So where do i order this thing from? Thanks guys i real appreciate the help!

It is easiest to make the kee kee call using a turkey mouth diaphragm call. Mouth calls are also the cheapest. Try to find a simple one with not a lot of cuts. Cuts create rasp to your normal yelps and make you sound like an older bird. To make the kee kee on a mouth call put more pressure with your tongue against the reed and say the words pee pee pee. You can also produce them on a glass or aluminum call but it takes a lot of practice and is hard to be consistent using these calls.

It is easiest to make the kee kee call using a turkey mouth diaphragm call. Mouth calls are also the cheapest. Try to find a simple one with not a lot of cuts. Cuts create rasp to your normal yelps and make you sound like an older bird. To make the kee kee on a mouth call put more pressure with your tongue against the reed and say the words pee pee pee. You can also produce them on a glass or aluminum call but it takes a lot of practice and is hard to be consistent using these calls.

Ok Thanks Man!

Turkey hunting is one of my favorites because you really can call these birds in and pattern them. I really think though in the fall scouting is key for a successful hunt.

+ 1 on scouting, if you know a route they are taking say once a day or every other day you can just ambush them like you would any other animal, with no need to call ,turkey have a pattern this time of the year you just have to find it. but calling is fun!!!

scatter the flock, wait a bit then use yelps and kee kees