Sign in to follow this  
Packer

Beyond my wildest dreams!

This story is about a bull that the Lord truely blessed me with this year. I was hunting with my good buddy Chris and we were excited to be away from work and able to spend two weeks in the woods chasing bugling elk. It was a great first day of the hunt and the elk were talkative most of the day. We got into this bull first thing in the morning and were able to follow behind the herd most of the day. Throughout the day Chris passed up on several smaller bulls but we had committed to trying to hold out for some nice bulls this year. By about 7 or 8 Chris and i split up to try to get different angles at the heard and to up our chances of getting in on a good bull. Throughout the day I was on elk most of the time and heard elk talking till about 10:30. At that point I was pinned down by a group of smaller 6 points and rag horns so I sat down and stayed there until about 2:30. At that point I hadn't seen or heard any elk for a while so I started to move. I didn't see or hear anything else until about 4:00. At that time I heard some bugling about 1-2 miles away so I started that way. As I neared in on where the elk were I came around a corner and saw 3 cows. The cows had a small bull with them but it was not what I was looking for. I continued on toward a group of elk that were talking pretty good and started to see elk and get in close. There was a good sounding bull off to my right and most of the rest of the elk were up the ridge in front of me and off to my left. As most of the elk moved up the ridge I noticed about 3-5 spikes working there way down toward me. I thought at that time I was going to get busted, although they were a ways out and just feeding. At that point the bull to my right bugled several times and came out so I could see it. It was a nice 6 point but as it bugled several more times the herd bull started to move that way to push him away. As he did that the 6 point came right toward me and passed by me about 15 yards to my left. At that point the herd bull was fairly close to the 6 point. As the 6x6 passed by my left it finally winded me and took off running. When it did that I was already drawn and ready for the herd bull. It stopped to see what was going on and I let go with an arrow. The bull was 20 yards broad side and my arrow hit it perfectly and passed completely through. I watched the bull walk about 10 yards and it laid down and was dead within seconds. I then thanked the good Lord for blessing me with a magnificent animal and one that I don't think I will ever surpass. Here are a few pics that do not do this animal justice.

post-2045-0-80111700-1348195730_thumb.jpg

post-2045-0-13208900-1348195773_thumb.jpg

post-2045-0-24351900-1348195815.jpg

post-2045-0-35220200-1348195855.jpg

post-2045-0-59209200-1348195882_thumb.jpg

post-2045-0-13358900-1348195911_thumb.jpg

post-2045-0-03947200-1348195938.jpg

Like I said this bull was truely a blessing. I had known there were elk in the area but I had never seen this bull before Friday. Now I will get to enjoy him for the rest of my life. Now since the hunt is over I think I will go back to hunting cows as I will never kill a bull like this again.

Aaron

Amazing bull! Those thirds are really cool and a great bull for sure! Congrats on the success.

That's an incredible bull. Looks like the burn areas are starting to produce some real toads. Congratulations on a great bull!

That is one beautiful bull.As you said you were truly blessed!!!!

Fantastic bull, congrats on what sounds like an amazing hunt!

WOW! He's a nice one!!!! Congrats!