Sign in to follow this  
elpepe25

My az elk (story and more pics added)

Here he is.

This is my first bull elk tag, for years I mowed the bejebus outta cows and loved it, however with a little bit of age and some other goals in mind I started putting in for bull tags. The dilemma however is “Do I put in indefinitely for a tag of a lifetime that may never come, or do I want to hunt elk? I chose hunting elk due to simple horn math- 2 -300” bulls = 600”. I can have at least 2 elk down by the time some folks have built the points to be competitive in the draw.

I wasn’t able to go scout months out from the hunt due to my lack of proximity to the hunt area (darn near opposite ends of the state) I had plenty of time off from work so I figured I’d be in elk country the Monday before the hunt and that’d give me time to snoop around and maybe even chase a mule deer or turkey with a bow.

The days leading up to the hunt I found approximately 30 bulls ranging from succulent spikers to good 300-330 bulls. The unit I had drawn is not known for the monster bulls it takes to be ‘cool’ these days. I decided I wanted a solid 6x6 as they will all pretty much meet P&Y minimum and all else would be gravy on top.

My brother had the tag the previous year and I helped him throughout his hunt ranging, calling etc. and he was looking to return the favor. So he came up and joined me the night before the hunt.

Anticipation built, gear was readied and tested for the last time, and all we needed was the clock to get moving.

1st day, opening morning: A close encounter with a pretty good bull. I got impatient, pushed the envelope at the wrong time and scared the daylights outta him. No Shot.

Later in the 1st day: Nothing worth reporting.

2nd morning: Nothing worth reporting.

2nd afternoon: While walking to check a pond, we walked right up on a bull beating the snot out of a small pine. He was only 60-70 yards but was making such a racket that we just “ho-hum” walked right up on him. So we sat there and watched for a couple of minutes. Then, out from behind us, a great 6X6 got our wind and ran off. Bummer.

3rd morning: Sucked, no elk talking, clammed up.

3rd afternoon: See above. Just awful.

4th morning: See 3rd morning. Woulda been a good day to sleep in.

4th afternoon: We were walking back up to the pond from the 2nd afternoon and saw what looked like a good 6x6 feeding about 200 yards away. The stalk was on. Every step I took sounded to me like I was dancing on Doritos chips. I kept cover between the bull and myself. So well that when I figured I was in archery range a peeked out looking for him and had lost him.

My elk ineptitude was staring to get to me.

5th morning: Finally, the bulls were blowing it up. Actually talking, like in my mind they were supposed to. This let me stay in contact and chase them all over creation.

At about 7:30 we were 2 pretty big canyons away from camp and we heard a lot of bugles in the direction of an old logging road. So we pursued. The bugles were getting closer. My breath… once again was getting shorter. At approximately 200 yards the bull was still blowing it up, we paused, thought it through, and figured no calls. We’d just stalk him. I put a diaphragm call in my cheek just in case. Then, all of the sudden, I hear an elk running our way. He ran into easy archery range and then stopped behind us. He was a small rag-horn. The good bull (still in front of us somewhere) was apparently infuriated by the rag-horn in his realm and cut loose a bugle that would peel paint. The good bull decided to chase the rag-horn off for good. He ran right into our laps. When he passed behind a dead tree I hit full draw, and mewed him (thank god for the diaphragm call) He locked onto us like a good pointer dog. All I needed was a range, which my brother provided.

“Think this through Robert, 50 yards….green pin…..pick a spot…float the pin and squeeze…..”

The Hoyt barked suddenly, the perfect surprise release. The arrow found its mark exactly and the bull trotted off.

The Wac-em exit 4 blade had passed through at 50 yards after centering the ribs. The recovery/ blood trailing endeavor was short; only about 100 yards. When I saw the Main-beam sticking out of the grass, I went to whooping and hollering, fist pumping and air punching.

I was extremely fortunate during the hunt. I had the support of a bunch of friends back home, a loving wife that accommodates my obsession, and a hunting brother in which to share this with.

Thanks,

Rob

post-1816-0-01969400-1348242424_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-01351700-1348242437_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-91738400-1348242452.jpgpost-1816-0-40238000-1348242464.jpgpost-1816-0-32384800-1348340677_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-00372400-1348340709_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-97441500-1348340779_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-79414400-1348340907_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-45759000-1348342276_thumb.jpg

Awesome! Glad I didn't see you driving down the road cause I probably would have rear ended someone. All of these amazing pictures this week are driving me insane!

nice bull, congrats

WOW! Nice bull!! there is not a more better picture then a hunter packin horns on a backpack headin back to his truck reflecting on the hunt! humming the song "Counting Flowers on the Wall"! buy the Oak Ridge Boys!...congrats on a awsome bull!! :D

• Like 1

Nice Bull man!

Great job! Looks like you made a great shot on him too. Looking forward to hearing the story abut your hunt.

Congrats! I like the packing out photo best.