Brian27

Unit 27 Info.

Ok, I got a tag for Coues this year in 27. We have hunted this unit about 4 times and I have yet to come up with a decent Coues. I have shot 2 bucks but they were lucky to have eye guards... Any advice on location?

Brian,

We have been hunting a honey hole in 27 for about 5 years.

We have trail cam pics of some great bucks.

The area is extremely rough, extremely tough to get to and I haven't shot a bullet yet at a buck.

I admit I am not any kind of a proclaimed hunter, I know the bigguns are in there, but I am just not sneaky enough to catch up with them.

They can be a frustrating critter for sure..............

Ok, I got a tag for Coues this year in 27. We have hunted this unit about 4 times and I have yet to come up with a decent Coues. I have shot 2 bucks but they were lucky to have eye guards... Any advice on location?

Do you have a mule or a horse? that is the key to 27

Try the Junipers, off the Marteiaz Ranch RD, saw some decent bucks out there a few years ago on the early elk hunt.

If you have a horse KP Creek has as big a population as anywhere else in unit #27. And you shouldn't have much competition from too many other hunters either since it can be as remote as you want to go.

I also have unit 27 honey holes. I could tell you....but then I would have to kill you! :lol: Just kidding

Anywhere along the southern face of the rim is good. On my elk hunt in 2009, I saw more Coues along the southern rim than I could shake a stick at. But it is very thick off the rim. I hunt further south in the unit. There are good pockets of Coues, finding the pockets is half the battle. There are even good Coues in the 4 -Bar area now. Greys and Mitchell Peak areas, any of the canyons below.

An outfitter told me about some gagger bucks he saw in Robinson mesa area up by Honeymoon. But the area is very, very, thick and tough to glass. I have personally seen some good bucks in hot air canyon below sheep saddle, its thick in there also, but glassable if you find the right spot to sit.

The same person told me about good whitetail in an area around Brigham Peak, which is in the Red mountain area. I always wanted to hike in there to check it out, but it would be a backpack hunt, or you would need horses, as it is quite aways in.

The picture in my Avatar is a unit 27 buck (99 5/8)

I hope to be up there in January, chasing bucks in the peak of the rut.

Brian,

The area is extremely rough, extremely tough to get to and I haven't shot a bullet yet at a buck.

I admit I am not any kind of a proclaimed hunter, I know the bigguns are in there, but I am just not sneaky enough to catch up with them.

You have to know your trees..........as in.....which one to sit under. ;)

Brian,

You have to know your trees..........as in.....which one to sit under. ;)

No doubt about that, funny thing is, one year hunting elk in there I was on mule pickin my way up a ridge. Kept bumping about 8 WT deer, they wouldn't leave, just kept pissin me off.

They know when it is elk season and when it is deer season.

Thanks for the info. I wish I had time this year to spend a few more days scouting and check out a few of those spots. If I am lucky I will be out this weekend but My wife is feeling like crud "she’s pregnant" so its harder to leave her with my girls.

My Brother-in-laws are going up on the 26th and me that night after class and will be hunting on the 27th. We are going in on 3 quads and going to get about as deep as we can get going north from Martinez ranch road. We have taken several bucks out of there maybe I can get my new scope on a mature buck. My brother-in-laws are after their first bucks so they won’t be so picky they will shoot any buck they get the chance at.

Last year I took my little brother in-law in there for the Jr. hunt and saw lots of mule deer to shoot at but he couldn't quite get it done. this year I am going to bring some shooting sticks or something to help him hold the gun steady.

Me and my older Brother-in-law had the 27 Coues and hardly got the chance to hunt. the arctic cat prowler kept shorting out fuses then a wheel fell off and crippled us. So I will leave that piece of junk with my brother... the 3 quads should give us a better chance to hunt this year.

Its going to be fun I cant wait to start hunting.

Thanks for the info. I wish I had time this year to spend a few more days scouting and check out a few of those spots. If I am lucky I will be out this weekend but My wife is feeling like crud "she’s pregnant" so its harder to leave her with my girls.

My Brother-in-laws are going up on the 26th and me that night after class and will be hunting on the 27th. We are going in on 3 quads and going to get about as deep as we can get going north from Martinez ranch road. We have taken several bucks out of there maybe I can get my new scope on a mature buck. My brother-in-laws are after their first bucks so they won’t be so picky they will shoot any buck they get the chance at.

Last year I took my little brother in-law in there for the Jr. hunt and saw lots of mule deer to shoot at but he couldn't quite get it done. this year I am going to bring some shooting sticks or something to help him hold the gun steady.

Me and my older Brother-in-law had the 27 Coues and hardly got the chance to hunt. the arctic cat prowler kept shorting out fuses then a wheel fell off and crippled us. So I will leave that piece of junk with my brother... the 3 quads should give us a better chance to hunt this year.

Its going to be fun I cant wait to start hunting.

Good luck and have fun. I wish I had a unit 27 tag, but no time off for me.

I have never spent anytime down by the Martinez ranch. Don't know much about that part of the unit.