Sign in to follow this  
Adam214

Unit 30A sucks!

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum but what better place to get hunters opinion than here!

Anyways, I got my girlfriend a leftover tag in unit 30A. We didn't get to do much scouting do to work.

Long story short, we hiked our butts off and didn't see one buck. We started off happy valley road on the SE side of the dos cabazes mountians. We saw 3 doe and a fawn. After hiking 8 miles into the dos cabazes with not one deer found, we headed out. Went back the next day. Same outcome.

After talking with a few ranchers about the dos cabazes, we decided to ditch them and head down to the paragose mountians.

We took the 186 down to Rucker rd. Glassed all morning, no deer. Hiked all the way to the top of a peak (not sure what one at this moment) saw track, scat, etc but no deer. Spent all day there, not one deer. Went back in the next day at a different location in the pedrogosa's. no deer.

We JUST got home. My girlfriend is bummed and so am I. There is almost zero access to the dos cabazes. A lot of private land with many unhappy ranchers. The pedragose mountains have more access, but you have to hike miles to get where u need to be. 90% of the swisshelm mountians is on private land. We tried getting permission from smiths to hunt on the swisshelm a, but no answer.

What I'm getting at is I want to get my girl on deer. I know there will be more leftover tags next year for this unit. Any help would be appreciated. Not looking for money holes, just anywhere that hold whitetail in that unit.

Thanks guys!

Why not just put in for a unit with better access that is a high draw. Find a unit close enough to home that you can scout regularly and one that isn't steep as a cows face. It says right in the regs that 30A has access issues. Just my .02, good luck in your endeavors.

• Like 1

Why not just put in for a unit with better access that is a high draw. Find a unit close enough to home that you can scout regularly and one that isn't steep as a cows face. It says right in the regs that 30A has access issues. Just my .02, good luck in your endeavors.

We are going to be putting in for a good unit. I would still like to be able to purchase the leftover tag.

You laid out a pretty convincing argument for why 30A sucks. Perhaps that is because 30A sucks. Just sayin'

Ask the Klumps' for permission, I hear they are nice folks. :ph34r:

One does not have to imagine why there are ALWAYS leftover tags for the November hunt and most of the time for the October hunt......

That being said, I know a guy who hunts there and does well. Scouting INCESSANTLY to find good spots is a must before the season opens.

• Like 1

They are there. This is my buck on my leftover solo backpack hunt last year in 30A. Saw 5 bucks in 2 1/2 days. You do have to hike your butt off and keep the binos to your face.

post-2541-0-79089700-1352728577_thumb.jpg

My daughters leftover tag buck 30A about 5 years ago.

post-2541-0-93423900-1352728872_thumb.jpg

One thing several people overlook is the fact that in oct coues are typically found near water....a majority of the roads in Arizona leads to water, don't be afraid to hunt under a mile from a pond and a road, typically that's where you find higher density of deer.

However some people will disagree with hunting near roads, u will typically find smaller bucks and more does. Farther away will produce bigger bucks but a lot less deer unless there's a good flowing spring or a pond with zero road access

If you are interested in seeing a great number of deer, try either 36b or 36a, in those units you should expect to see 15 to 30 does a day and bucks varies from 0 to 20 a day. A lot of fun hunting out there if you are into seeing a lot of deer.

we quit hunting 30A several years ago due to access issues and lower deer numbers. however, we still know some people that hunt that unit and are successful. probably best for you to find another unit in order to prevent future frustrations.

According to what im reading here i would say not to many WT in this area what i am wondering is if anyone knows about muleys in the unit my father n law has a muley hunt this fri thanks

Maybe less walking and more looking.

+1

Its hard enough to sneak up on a coues when your trying and It is easy to just push them over the rigde before you get in sight of them if you are hiking. also 30A could just suck. I havent hunted it.