Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

First Coues Last Day (Story & Pics)

Finally tagged my first coues deer on my 3rd rifle tag in three years and a few years of hoping to find one on the archery hunt before that. Never had much luck and this was actually the first shot I have ever taken on a coues deer. The last two years I drew the early October hunt and didn’t have any luck. I saw 3 rifle bucks total in the two years hunting the October hunt. I was never able to spend much time on those hunts and I had a hard time seeing them little buggers.

I first got into glassing about 3 years ago when I first took a look at the unit I drew and realized I needed some better optics if I wanted to have any chance and ever since I can’t do enough glassing its almost addicting. This year was the first year I had the middle hunt and I was stoked because I figured the colder weather might keep the deer on their feet a little longer and I wouldn’t get worn out as quick.

I had to help on the late bull hunt this year so I didn’t get to go deer hunting till the last two days. I showed up Saturday morning before light and hustled up the hill to get set up where I had seen some does on the October hunt with a buddy. About 20 mins after light I picked up 2 does and 2 spikes running circles around the bowl I was glassing. I watched them till noon and ended up seeing 4 does and 3 spikes total. I had waited so long for my first coues that I decided not I might as well wait till I could take a decent coues.

I tried a new spot for the evening hunt and only seen muleys. Went back to town and stayed in a motel and decided to go back for the last morning to the same spot I seen the spikes and watch that bowl from a different angle to see if a bigger buck would show himself. I hustled up the mountain before light with just my rifle, tripod, scope and some snacks and planned on sitting till dark. About 30 minutes after light I picked up a 3x3 and fork feeding in the shade straight across from me. I got all worked up thinking this is finally good be the year I tag out. I pull up the rifle and I can’t pick up the deer with the way the sun is hitting me. I wait and watch them a bit longer thinking they are just going to vanish all of a sudden. Finally I can see them in the when the 3x3 steps into the light and shows me a broad side shot. I spin my spotting scope around on the tripod to use as a rest, find him in the scope and let squeezed the trigger. I didn’t hear a crack and I seen the deer run. I get back on the spotter and was able to pick him back up. I find him in the scope for one more shot and let it fly. (NO CRACK) I seen the deer disappear behind the juniper he was next to but he never came out.

I go back to glassing to see if I can pick him up and I see the fork do a circle around the tree that I shot at and then kind of scoot out of there with out the bigger buck and kind of looking confused so I thought that was a good sign. I head down the mountain and up the other side to see if he was behind that juniper. On the way over I kicked up the fork and again the bigger buck wasn’t there so I was starting to feel a little better about it. I worked my way up the hill and found the trail the deer were using and looked up and seen the juniper he was standing next to for the second shot. I got around the last juniper before I got there and seen something white sticking out of the bush.

Two white feet sticking up!

post-4673-0-07034800-1355159443_thumb.jpg

I was STOKED! I had finally scored on my first coues that I had dreamed about for so long, but I had no camera and my phone died. I decided to hike back to the truck and get my cut and pack bag and headed back for the deer at 10:30AM. Here is a picture of the bush he landed in.

post-4673-0-32247200-1355160473_thumb.jpg

after i pulled him out

post-4673-0-66487600-1355160556_thumb.jpg

quartered him hung him and boned him for the pack out.

post-4673-0-70788400-1355160613_thumb.jpg

heres a picture from the buck to where i shot from on top of the point in the middle

post-4673-0-06101000-1355162460_thumb.jpg

got everything to fit in the back back.

post-4673-0-80508800-1355162523_thumb.jpg

home stretch back to the truck

post-4673-0-23658000-1355163661_thumb.jpg

heres a better picture of him

post-4673-0-91854900-1355168069_thumb.jpg

and heres a couple pictures of a muley I seen

post-4673-0-70485400-1355168170_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-17005400-1355168213_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You sure made it look like this wasn't your first rodeo! Great job, pics, and buck!

Cool! Thanks for the story and the pics! Great Buck!!

Very nice!! Congratulations, and great write up.

Thanks for the compliments guys I really appreciate it. Been driving around all week with it in my front seat so I could show it off to everyone. LoL. Working on cleaning it up for a Euro mount while I wait on the cape so I'll post some pictures of the euro when i get it done.