naturebob

Unit 23 sucess?

Any one have any luck in 23 with coues or muley? I am in N. Dakota the last 2 years working and did not make it down this year. First time in about 8 years I aint hunted it . Really miss it. Went to Montana in stead this year as it is close. Couple of My partners from Az . I hunt with did ok there in N. Mex., was just wanting to see some more photos. Thanks...... BOB!

I had a whitetail tag for unit 23 this last fall. Hunted where we know that the NM recrd was taken a few years back, with recent reports of other nice bucks in the area. Hunted all 5 days....never saw a whitetail at all. Drove up to a muly buck and his does, they kept feeding while we glassed them. Could have shot half of them....funny, they must have known which tag we had. :)

• Like 1

We hunted mule deer in November, Opening day it snowed and rained all day. So we hunted the lower part around Alma, upon clearing in the afternoon, we went back up the mountain past Pueblo park, Guess all the Hunters packed up and left. anyway We saw 2 bucks, one was a huge 28" wide 4 point, the other was a smaller 4 point.

As luck often happens, the Bigger one headed for higher country, so we ended up harvesting the smaller 4 point.

We ahve seen these two bucks together for the past 2 years, So I will be headed back down there, if I get drawn, and look for the beast!

Thanks for the responce Guys. My one buddy shot decent 3x3 Muley in the south part of the unit. 2 others shot some in the 80+ and a 90+ up north.Speaking of the town of Alma, that little restaruant with the store there had the best bisquits and gravy I ever had. That was about 6-7 years ago. Wonder if it has the same owners....BOB!

I went with my uncle on the ML muley hunt in 23. We saw quite a few coues and muley, and he ended up taking a nice buck.

post-3756-0-92380900-1361381780_thumb.jpg

Hunted unit 23 in 2007, archery elk. Hunted the Northern part of the unit. Only saw 2 whitetail does. Did see 2 nice Muley bucks, but I only had an elk tag.

Thanks for the responce Guys. My one buddy shot decent 3x3 Muley in the south part of the unit. 2 others shot some in the 80+ and a 90+ up north.Speaking of the town of Alma, that little restaruant with the store there had the best bisquits and gravy I ever had. That was about 6-7 years ago. Wonder if it has the same owners....BOB!

Yes sir, the restaurant is still here. Same owners, same food and now open for dinner a couple nights a week since the Blue Front closed down in Glenwood. I don't have any pictures but I have seen coues deer all over this unit but I've never taken the time to pattern them. We're unit 27 junkies in AZ but have a place here in Alma. PM me if you guys are ever in the area and need anything. Good luck!

Yes sir, the restaurant is still here. Same owners, same food and now open for dinner a couple nights a weeks since the Blue Front closed down in Glenwood. I don't have any pictures but I have seen coues deer all over this unit but I've never taken the time to pattern them. We're unit 27 junkies in AZ but have a place here in Alma. PM me if you guys are ever in the area and need anything. Good luck!

Have you ever hinted in the Alma Mesa area of unit 27? Just curious as to what it is like on that side of the Blue

Nice Buck Aorron. Iv'e seen coues all thru the unit. Just gootta be patient. I am in North Dakota working so won't hunt it this year or last. Sure miss that country. I hunted Montana last year and will do again this year as it is same time frame as NM. Gotta take advantage of the opportunity up here well I am here.Good luck to all in NM, this year and post pics......Thanks ....BOB!

To continue My post from last year, Any more reports from 23 this year ( from fall 2013 ) My 2 buddy's that went had a tough time on finding as many Coues as usuall. Wonder how others did. Muleys too. Lets see em or story,s. I'M home sick and wanna hear some coues stories. I did harvest a OK Muley in Montana solo hunting with a bad back , so I harvested in 2 hours to get it over with. I will dig up a pic. and post it..Thanks.......BOB!