Sign in to follow this  
rthrbhntng

Arizona Commissioners Elk Tag Sells for $385,000

The Elk Tag at the RMEF Banquet yesterday sold for an amazing $385,000. Lots of money, with 100% going to elk projects through the AZGFD HPC.

Steve

• Like 1

How does that compare with previous years? If my memory serves me correctly that's a big up-swing.

Makes me wonder if somebody has already found a bull that made it through this years hunts that is already huge and are guessing that it will be worth the money when it grows this years rack???

That was a sight to see in person. The opening bid was $80,000 and in 25 seconds it was over $200,000. No joke. The guy two tables from me quit bidding at $350k. Pretty sure the buyer would have went over $400k if someone wanted to challenge him. We should see the two guys that didnt get the tag go head to head for the other tag at the AES...reminds me i need to get my tickets before they sell out.

Probably a stupid question, but am I correct in assuming AZGFD has no jurisdiction over how this money is spent?

No, that's not really correct. All the money gets spent according to how the AGFD Habitat Partnership Committee decides it should be spent. You can read about the process on the AGFD website and you can see how the money from last year's tags was spent. The HPC process is a public process and you can volunteer to be on the committee and get involved to help determine how the money should be spent. You can even put together a proposal for a project that you would like to see funded. The forms are on the webpage linked below.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/hpc.shtml

I hope they shoot a big one, good to know all the money is going to help the elk.

That's a lot of money that will go towards AZ wildlife! Pretty clear what state has the best Elk hunting right now.

that is awsome! How many commissioners tags do they sell/give away? they also sell one at the AES Banquet and they give one away in the suer raffle, or is that one not considered a commissioners tag? Just wondering.

There are 3 commissioner elk tags. Two of them are available for groups to submit proposals to the Dept for and normally go up for auction. The third is put into the Supper raffle.