I recently drew a tag for deer in unit 25. I was told the illusive grey ghost was in this unit. Excited about the hunt in November I want to get a jump on planning the hunt. However, I can't locate any information on the web for unit 25 coues. I assumed he was right and the critters could be found on the west side of the unit adjoining unit 26 and 24. Maybe I trusted in the wrong hunter and maybe my excitement of hunting coues will turn to mulies. I'm not looking for a specific spot nor anyones honey hole by no means. Just would like to know if I'm safe with my assumption and to verify there is in fact coues whitetail in this unit. If anyone has any information they would be willing to share I sure would appreciate it :D .

Thanks!

I'm sure he means in New Mexico.

I know there are some toads that come from 26 and 27 off the Gray and unit 23 always has a grip of coues in certain places. I would be pretty comfortable finding some range on the west side of unit 25 (south to start?) to hunt coues in...could be totally wrong too. I will give a buddy a call tomorrow from over there and see if he has anything to allow and if he does I will let you know.

I have never personally hunted 25 but I can guarantee you there are no Coues where it meets 23 and 24. The only place where there might be a chance for them would be along the west side and possibly SW corner. Access is going to be your biggest opponent in those areas I would imagine.

• Like 1

I appreciate the help so far. Seems like the advise I took for a unit to draw a coues tag could have been incorrect. Still hoping and willing to pack in for this hunt. But not sure if a pack in of that length is worth it for a maybe. May just have to resort to a mulie hunt. Not so bad at least I'm still hunting. Just had my mind set on coues. So if you hear of anything else please let me know.

Again thanks so far for the help.

This falls into the realm of "I don't know, but I been told": I have heard that there used to be Coues whitetails in the Cedar Mountains. That said, I know most of the serious local hunters and have never heard of anyone taking a Coues whitetail in that unit. If there are any in 25, they would most likely be in the Cedars. However, the few hunters that I know who do hunt that country, hunt for mule deer. Fortunately, the bag limit for that unit is one fork antlered deer, so you can shoot a mulie as a last resort, I guess. Let us know how you make out...

Just heard from a trusted source that you may have been told wrong. My friend said he's hunted quail in that unit for over 20 years and he has yet to see a coues. That's not to say they aren't there. Best of luck man. I hope you can prove him wrong.

What date is your hunt on? The first hunt or second? I drew a January bow tag and I'm going to hunt the Western end of the unit. I was going to go down there on one or both of the November rifle hunts to scout and maybe see where the locals are hunting. If youre on the second rifle hunt, and I see any coues I can let you know.

Any other updates on this? I'm heading down there to scout 15/17 november for mulies. Going to scout early and late and hopefully shoot some quail in the afternoon.

Any other updates on this? I'm heading down there to scout 15/17 november for mulies. Going to scout early and late and hopefully shoot some quail in the afternoon.

You will find that both mulies and quail are pretty thin. Good luck with both!

Thanks, scouting trip got postponed until 1st weekend in December. Don't think that matters much it'll just be a little colder in the tent.

Have any idea what camping is like in the area between I-10 and Mexico? I was going to look into the Victorio and Cedar mountains for hunting. One time behind the Gage station I saw ALOT of evidence of illegals being picked up but that was about 6 years ago. Don't know if its gotten worse or better. Am I gonna have people jacking with my stuff down there?

I was javelina hunting last year and somebody walked into my camp and fired off 2 rounds right outside the trailer a little after 2 am. I spoke to a game warden Wednesday about 25. He didn't know much about that area and when I told him about the gunshots last year he told me he wasn't surprised by that at all.

Foot traffic in that area is down, but smuggling remains about the same. Lots of Border Patrol presence these days, although you won't see many of them until they detect an illegal incursion. There were a fair number of hunters during the first hunts (bow, muzzle loader and two rifle hunts), and I haven't heard of any trouble this year. Foot traffic generally falls off pretty quickly once it turns cold. Guides and outfitters have taken to parking their trailers in Hachita at the little RV park next to the old convenience store, and taking their hunters from there. If you are worried, that is probably the safest thing to do.

The Border Patrol has a Forward Operating Base about 15 miles east of Hachita on Hwy 9. The phone number is (575) 531-3010. That would be the closest law enforcement if you run into trouble. I haven't seen a game warden down here in years.

Thanks for the info.

When I come down scouting I'll just throw a tent out by the truck. Got the riot gun and 00 incase somebody tries anything.

If I hunt the Cedars or Victorio I'll probably keep my trailer in the Gage RV park. That place is really big so I won't jammed in right next to somebody else. Its clean too.

Every forum post I see where a guy asks for advice on a hunt, where to go, looking for help...they get info and then never come back and respond on how the hunt went. They had all the time in the world to ask for spots but when the hunts over theres no follow up. Seems the least they could do is drop a couple sentences about what the hunt was like.

I suspect this dude never even went on the hunt because it seemed like it was going to be too hard but still a little follow up would be nice.

• Like 1