Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

I believe this is Howard Hill

Suzy my wife, has a cousin in Payson who has a lot of old family photographs. He was unsure whom this was but I think it is Howard Hill. Suzy's grandfather Cleveland Eugene Holder, spent most of his life in the rim country around Payson and Holder Cienega is named after him. He caught and roped bears for what are now called "canned" hunts for Howard Hill on several occasions, and If I remember right at least one lion. Howard would arrive with a film crew and the bear was released and he was able to drive several arrows through it with his longbow before it could run out of sight.

Cleveland was also Game Warden number 3 for the State of Arizona. My father in law still has his badge. He has been credited with the last documented killing of a grey wolf in Arizona. One of Suzy's relatives in Payson still possesses a stole made from it's hide.

post-958-0-92958700-1370838866_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Wow! That's some pretty neat information and being so close to the family history it's worth some stories for sure. Would like to hear some more history behind the publicity and what exactly went down.

Bring it on.

TJ

Wow! That's some pretty neat information and being so close to the family history it's worth some stories for sure. Would like to hear some more history behind the publicity and what exactly went down.

Bring it on.

TJ

+1 for sure!

My father in law Jim Holder confirmed that this is Howard and was taken at the cabin site in Holder Cienega. A large black bear was treed by dogs and roped by Cleveland and another cowboy and hauled up to the cabin site. Once released Howard shot the bear and it ran up a tree. The next two arrows went through the bear and into the tree and he died hung up. This was all filmed.

Cleveland is buried in the Payson Cemetery . His headstone was made from one of the rocks used in the cabins foundation.

I grew up in the Payson area and have always loved hearing about the good old days there. Thanks for sharing.