jarheadhunter

What do Coues deer taste like?

THEY TASTE LIKE VICTORY!

• Like 10

In my opinion it is better than all three you've listed. It tastes like a little piece of heaven with a cherry on top!

• Like 1

By far my most favorite of all game meat. Even old bucks I've killed during the rut were so tasty I couldn't stop eating them.

• Like 1

CHEF!!! CHEF!!!...where are you Chef?.this question is all yours!!..tell this Fellow hunter how cousewhite tail tastes!! ...or the best way to prepare it!! to get the best out off these heavenly animals!! :D ;) !...tastes like chicken!! :lol: !........or watch "MEAT EATER"!

Taste like Chicken :lol:

JK - Awesome, tender, sweet, nutty, yummy goodness. Salt, pepper, dash of worchestershire, dash of olive oil, let them come to room temperature in this marinade and then grill rare to slightly medium rare. Pull off the grill or fry pan and let rest under loosly tented for 3-5 min and enjoy with a nice red wine. :D Now I am hungry again...

Usually, the only taste I get is humble pie. Just kidding, I have been lucky to harvest quite a few now and they are outstanding, if you take care of the meat properly like any other thing. Proper care in the field will help dictate how awesome the meat ends up. I think it is one of the absolute best meats out there. Very nice and tender when properly prepared, lighter than beef, MUCH leaner than turkey and easy to cook. I have not had antelope but have been told they can be quite gamey. Whitetail are more tender than mule deer, in my book.

The back straps are RIDICULOUS! We were like a pack of wolves at the dinner table! Tender, juicy,IMO tastes similar elk back strap. Ok I'm hungry!

CHEF!!! CHEF!!!...where are you Chef?.this question is all yours!!..tell this Fellow hunter how cousewhite tail tastes!! ...or the best way to prepare it!! to get the best out off these heavenly animals!! :D ;) !...tastes like chicken!! :lol: !........or watch "MEAT EATER"!

LOL!

I got the call to check this thread out!

Coues deer meat is best described, when compared to "regular table fare" meats, as a mix between veal and baby lamb.

If you can imagine a meat that is tender and lean. With a mild nutty and sweet flavor that takes well to marinades and rubs.

Not gamey at all, especially when compared to other game meats. I have served (and will continue to do so) Coues venison

to unsuspecting guests and they all love it. It's not until afterwards, that I tell them what they are enjoying. I have come to

learn, time and time again, that people have a stigma about how game meat "should" taste like. They are always pleasantly

surprised.

Coues venison is great standing on it's own. In other words, no need for "tricks of the trade" such as wrapping in bacon, or smoking,

stewing, to where the meat is non descript. I think this speaks volumes as to the quality and flavor of the meat.

Now, in comparison to other game meats, It is more delicate than elk, not "grassy" tasting like antelope, and sweeter in flavor than any of the above.

Field prep and proper care of the meat is key. I hope this helps in answering your question and I'd like to hear others' comments on what I had to add.

• Like 5

...saute backstrap as a whole chunk till rare, remove from heat and let it cool down...

^^^^This

post-67-0-87176600-1371224652_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-66318500-1371224656_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-28841800-1371224660_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Chef....OMG! That is how I prefer backstraps. No special tricks, just favorite marinade and grill on low heat.

Onshot, yours looks good too....but I about yacked when I saw the brusslesprouts :wacko: