jarheadhunter

What do Coues deer taste like?

meat thermometer, or better yet the squeeze test..try it on some grilled steaks or burgers....firm=welldone ,, squishy = rare..everything else in between is to your preference...practice a little,its foolproof

Yeah I have a meat therm I use for my smoker with brisket and pork shoulder. Just curious what my target temps would be, is it the same as beef? pull @ 125 for rare, 130 for Med Rare, etc?

should be on par with beef. Coues has zero marbling in the meat, as with pretty much all game. you are better off eating it near raw then overcooked

• Like 2

Thanks!! I have never been good at the ole' cook by touch method, like to have a number in mind so not ruin things as I learn..

post-3041-0-94900200-1438986231_thumb.jpgpost-3041-0-08526900-1438986242_thumb.jpgpost-3041-0-49230200-1438986246_thumb.jpgpost-3041-0-61058300-1438986293_thumb.jpgI have never ate Coues how do they compare? Is it more like Mule Deer, Whitetail or antalope? Or do they have a different taste all together?

They taste really good if you age the meat and know how to cook, this are some of the things i did.

Sausage with wild rice.

Roast with risotto.

Ravioli with butter, sage and parmesan cheese.

Carpaccio with capers , parmesan cheese and olive oil and lemon.

all from coues meat.

• Like 1

should be on par with beef. Coues has zero marbling in the meat, as with pretty much all game. you are better off eating it near raw then overcooked

Disagree with that statement, you can make a fantastic stew and serve with polenta, a very old traditional italian dish, you have to lok and find ways to cook it, just roasted and grilling won't bring the best of the meat. i agree is marble on the meat but there are many ways to cook and make different dishes.

Disagree with that statement, you can make a fantastic stew and serve with polenta, a very old traditional italian dish, you have to lok and find ways to cook it, just roasted and grilling won't bring the best of the meat. i agree is marble on the meat but there are many ways to cook and make different dishes.
pretty sure the greasers werent grillin up some greyghosts. Traditionally, atleast.

Coues deer are the best tasting deer I've eaten. I've eaten Eastern whitetail, Columbian Blacktail, several sub strains of Mule deer and of course Coues deer. The AZ Coues taste better than all of them, but they are all good. The best game meat I've had though is Pronghorn when properly handled and rapidly cooled.

I'm sure it's the way I grew up but you guys eat your deer meat way different than I ever will. Honestly never really thought about doing anything to special with it. Craziest I've got so far is grilling it an that's only because that's how my wife and kids love it. Otherwise I would never do anything but batter an fry it. Make some gravy along with fried potatoes. I'm sure those other recipes are good an work for you but for the way I was raised its just odd.