az_shooter

Feral Hogs in New Mexico

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the rules for me on killing hogs in NM. I'm from AZ but I'm very close to NM and I am wanting to go shoot a feral hog so I looked on NM game and fish website and this is what it reads; "Hog hunting has become a popular pursuit in New Mexico due to it's lack of season, no license requirement and unlimited harvest."

Does that mean I can go over to New Mexico and kill a hog without even having to purchase a hunting license? Has anyone from AZ done this or know for fact that's how it is?

If it reads on the NM Game and Fish web site that you don't need a license I would see that as a green light. Go get em! I would clarify if that means a tag or hunting license though. The land or entrapment can be a different world if you know what I mean.

Feral hog in NM? I've hunted me all over TX w my bow and they're fun hunting and good eatin. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Btw- is it fair chase or fenced?

AZ_SAWBUCK - I'm thinking of just calling the g&f dept. and clarifying but as far as I can see it is just fair game! Hog hunting here I come!

Rifle2Bow - I've been in a few spots in NM recently and have seen feral hogs and its all fair chace, no high fence like Texas or other places that trap them in. I've also heard that they are super good to eat so thanks for the good luck wish!

The rules are correct. You don't need a license or tag. NM wants them GONE! I've been trying to contact a friend of mine who knows the land management agency biologist (FS?) down there and will tell folks exactly where to go. I'll keep trying and post it up here or in the other feral hogs post I've contributed to.

And yes, they are DELICIOUS! I've taken a few from low-fence ranches in TX (fair chase) and they are fun to hunt! The sows taste the best, but young (100 lbs or less) boars are good, too. Good luck!

Yes sir, I just called their department today and confirmed that, no tag, no license, free game! And thanks to the FS I'm already pretty familiar with units 27 and 26 and I've seen hogs in both. I'll most defiantly take your advise on the 100 lb sow but if I happen to find a big boar then I'm sure I'd do what anyone else would do haha!

Will you take me with you?

+1....... We can all split the gas!!!!

Now we're talking! I get the front seat. :lol: :lol:

TJ

+1 on splitting the gas!!!!

+1 on splitting the gas!!!!

LOL!!! At this rate I think we can rent a bus and have a CWT field trip!! So?? Where we going??

• Like 4

TJ

Only you would call "SHOTGUN" first. HA HA HA

• Like 1