Sign in to follow this  
THE RIFLEMAN

Prickly Pear Chicken

Prickly Pear marinated chicken breasts & grilled zuchini....Bought some fresh prickly pear juice off craigs list great stuff ! Wrist rocketed the dang chikens they have been eating in my front yard every morning for weeks....!

post-8639-0-44541100-1375057705_thumb.jpg

We just soak them in water for a while get thorns soft then squish in a pillow case. Major juice. I haven't done the bar b que thing. May give it a shot next month. Tried makin jelly a few times but always seems to be to runny, but the margaritas are great.

Prickly Pear margaritas are awesome. It is that time of year again for picking. Thanks for the reminder Dan.

TJ

• Like 1

Prickly Pear juice seems to be made for grilling chicken....

"Easy" way to make it, Pick the red ripe tunas, (Santa Rita prickly pears give the best flavour), burn off the spines over gas stove holding with SS tongs, crush in a strainer (two Chinaman hat shaped strainers work best), pour juice through a piece of cheese cloth (to get any remaining spines out), bring to a boil, then over med heat reduce till it starts to get thicker, put in an empty wine bottle... Also makes a good refreshing drink when added to water, lemonade, or vodka...Enjoy...

I bought a quart of fresh frozen...$15 a little goes along ways...When you boil or pasturize it most of the healthy stuff goe's away , the raw juice has enzymes and micro fiber that are lost when boiled or filtered!

I used to harvest and squeeze Prickly Pears with an old mop squeezer, made my own jelly and drank alot of it mixed with iced tea or cranberry juice! Most folks are skeered of the spines or it being a wild plant and over process it ! Cowards! ..... Raw juice juice is the best way! I dont boil my fresh squeezed orange juice so why boil the prickly pears!!! ?

• Like 1

Prickly Pear margaritas are awesome. It is that time of year again for picking. Thanks for the reminder Dan.TJ
very true about the margs!

My husband makes the best prickly pear barbeque sauce! We use it all the time on grilled chicken and pork and shredded wild hog meat. It's outstanding! We roll the prickly pear fruits around on the driveway with a rake to break off spines, then swirl them around in 5 gallon buck of water to wash them and then run them through a juicer to get the juice. Strain through cheesecloth to make sure it's free of any spines.

My husband has been teaching prickly pear juicing classes for several years at Boyce Thompson Arboretum. See attached flier for more detailed instructions. I even added the nutritional info to the flier.

Prickly Pear Juice.doc

anyone ever made wine out of PP fruit?

What about something, shall we say, a little stiffer than wine? That might or might not involve copper tubing, yeast, sugar, etc.Hypothetically.

DB,

It doesnt make great wine...we have had several wine makers make some from juice my husband gave them. But we havent really enjoyed the results.

My husband did add some ppear juice to an India Pale Ale he made and it was a awesome!! its been my favorite beer this summer. neat color and wonderfully refreshing.

Hypothetically you can make something stronger. Hypothetically you could juice the fruit from an indian fig prickly pear (much sweeter than regular ppear, but not as pretty a juice) and then turn that into a brandy and that might turn out amazing....hypothetically speaking of course :)