Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Toyota Tacoma 2014--Need Opinion

I have been in a few of these on several hunts and dang these things are beasts. They have gone everywhere my ranger has pretty much went but they are warm and confortable and dont eat dust. I'm thinking of getting the 2014 with the V6. Throw a small lift and winch and away I go. I currently have a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel and pull a 18 ft skeeter bass boat tandum axel trailer with breaks. I know its a huge difference but you think I will have any problems pulling the boat to the local lakes at all. Anyone have experience with this. The tacoma will have the tow package on it. I hunt way more than I fish so cant justify to keeping the diesel. What you think?

Here is my truck now

post-9454-0-27650100-1375130303_thumb.jpg

Here is the 2014 Tacoma

post-9454-0-14952200-1375130312.jpg

I think they are great trucks and like you said they will go about anywhere with a lot more comfort too. Just like most toyotas it will last forever if

It's taken care of. With trailer breaks on it I don't think you would have any problem, that v6 runs strong!

I don't know to many diesel owners who went back to a gas truck and didn't regret it. Let alone a V6. The boats not exactly what I would call heavy but I have both a diesel and a newer 4 runner. I couldn't imagine depending on the yota as my only tow vehicle.

Yea toyotas are great trucks! They run forever!! My buddy has one and loves it!! They are great small trucks. Hey, a Toyota pulled the space shuttle.

Yea toyotas are great trucks! They run forever!! My buddy has one and loves it!! They are great small trucks. Hey, a Toyota pulled the space shuttle.

+1

I know a guy who bought a Toyota, he loves it however his mancard was revoked the very next day, coincidence I think not.

• Like 1

I would take gas over a diesel for hunting any day.Gas is a lot less noisey and you will see more game when driveing.You can hear a diesel comingfrom a mile away.

In all reality fuel mileage wise my 4.0 V6 4x4 4runner with as big of tires as I can fit without a lift gets about 18Mpg on average. Adding a lift and and larger tires will prob put you around 15-16Mpg. empty. not towing.

• Like 1

I haul a 17.5 champion with a Chevy 1500 with a V-6. It takes the hills going to Roosey at about 45. Currently looking at a diesel 4x4. Good luck. I wouldn't do it.

I love my 2011 Taco. Gets 19mpg average around town but mine is only leveled out with standard size tires. I think it would pull it just fine. May be a little slow on hills because of the added weight. The only thing I would be worried about is the back suspension being a little light if your boat has some weight to it. I've noticed mine gets a pretty low when I fill the bed up to the bed rails with green pine.

I've had a Tacoma for 10.5 yrs now. You can't ask for a better hunting rig, IMO. The ONLY issue I've had is not being able to fit a couple more guys in it (mine is just the extended cab). Which isn't too terrible considering you just beat up your buddies truck instead for the wknd ; )!!

Diesels are expensive all the way around. Of course they're superior in towing but it sounds like you won't be hauling anything too heavy or often anyway.

I will also echo another post. You won't get the better gas mileage that you think you should with the Tacoma over the diesel. But all around its a cheaper vehicle to run. Maybe someone who runs theirs on veg oil have .02 to add. But I don't know what conversions cost either.

Here's the funny part though. You'll get made fun for driving a "toy truck" while they're looking down from their giant "manly trucks" but I guarantee you'll go everywhere and more with yours and far less spent on maintaining it- All the while lasting just as long. I've got 250k+ on mine and it runs like it did when I bought it with no major problems. Good luck.

• Like 1

Not worried about gas mileage. Love the truck for hunting vehicle just want to see how people have experienced towing a boat with it.

I love Toyota trucks!!! I do miss my old t100 that truck was awesome off road! But as good as they are off road, you will kill that v6 towing with it. Would never give up my cummins for a gas burner, ever!

Boom Problem Solved lol.