Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Toyota Tacoma 2014--Need Opinion

I have a 2010 tacoma 4x4 double cab long bed with a 3 in lift and full belly armor. It also has a camper shell. If I were in the market again and doing it over I would have gone with a full size. I also have a CJ5 for off roading. I love the tacoma but could use a larger rear seat and the v-6 is pretty anemic with 33s and armor. Gas mileage isn't great either.

9D8A3899-8880-475C-BFE5-721B9629C731-247

DSCF0091.jpg

In all reality fuel mileage wise my 4.0 V6 4x4 4runner with as big of tires as I can fit without a lift gets about 18Mpg on average. Adding a lift and and larger tires will prob put you around 15-16Mpg. empty. not towing.

Bummer, my 1994 4runner 3.0 (3VZE) gets less than 16 mpg with 31" tires and no lift. Maybe the overhead rack screw with my streamline aerodynamics a touch…

I would take gas over a diesel for hunting any day.Gas is a lot less noisey and you will see more game when driveing.You can hear a diesel comingfrom a mile away.

Noise is a definite negative when road hunting no doubt. :D

I have 256K on an F250 Diesel and Elk just stand there at the side of the road staring in amazement (evidentially too skeerd to move) as I putt by. Now iffin I was on the market fer a gasser it sure wouldn't have a V6 or be a freakin Jap Truck. Thank You, Thank You Very Much

My first choice would be an F150 with a V8 and in my experience the towing mileage of a gasser is usually about 60-70% of normal driving when not towing. But that Hemi Ram sure is purty, just point it in the direction you want to go and whala. My younger brother even lets me drive his when I visit him down in Cajun Country.

Then you also have to take into consideration overheating when towing and the ability to stop (or not) when breaking. Cross winds can be, well,, interesting. But if you have the whole family crammed inside and a bunch of ice filled coolers in the bed the added weight will help but get some good tires (maybe E's) and keep em aired up.

All in all I'm just bustin your chops and I think it would probably work as a second vehicle. You might want to rent one with a hitch for a week.

My experience on cummins vs Toyota. I am almost embarrased to admit I just went thru this exact thing. After driving and loving my 2006 cummins for 4 years I decided to trade for a new tundra. I found the truck I wanted, drove to salt lake city and bought it. I had immediate buyers remorse on the trip home. Two weeks later I towed a small trailer to Montana with a moderate load on it. My mileage was terrible, 9.5 to 10.5 and the up hill towing was moderate at best, even with the 5.7 liter engine. I have to admit the truck was extremely comfortable and easy to drive though. After having to stop for gas 8 times each way I decided this just wasn't going to cut it. I started looking for another diesel as soon as I got home. Two weeks later I found the truck I wanted in Boise, Idaho. After hammering out the best deal I could it was off to Boise to get the new cummins. The drive home was amazing, all the power I wanted, 560 miles out of a tank of fuel, nice ride for a big truck, and it looks great. To say that trading in my 2006 diesel was a mistake would be an understatement. Sure they cost a little more to drive and maintain but its worth it. It is very hard to drive a diesel very long and be happy going to a smaller truck. Toyota builds a great truck but they aren't a cummins. I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 for my running around truck and love it. So my advice is to go out and look over that great looking dodge cummins and decide that the best thing to do is to keep it. I wish my 2006 was still in my driveway now. Sorry for the long read but its important to drive what makes you happy, just my opinion.

Get a chevy 5.3ltr. I bought a 05 silverado recently and have a 6 in. Lift sittin on 33's (for now, goin to 35's soon) and with a throttle body spacer, cold air intake, custom true dual exhaust, and programmer I average 18 mpg around town. Have zero problems pulling a trailer and have had 15, 000lbs behind pulling roll up garage doors it goin 75 up and down hills no problem. It does great off road and have zero overheating issues, but I may throw an electric fan on soon just for kicks and giggles. But personally I would probably stick to diesel

I have an 06 Tacoma with the 4.0/automatic. I can't beat it off road and drive 55 miles each way to work, 4or so miles is dirt and 4hi during monsoons and winter rains/snow. I love my truck!! It doesn't tow anything worth a dang though. I've been places that most full size trucks just won't fit. The 08 gmc is for towing, road trips etc.

• Like 1

Im sure it will pull a bass boat just fine but will probably get the same gas mileage or worse doing it, especially if you level it and put 32/33 inch tires on it. Toyotas are awesome no doubt but I think you will regret it. Nice truck btw.The dodge not the Toyota lol!

You will be able to go any where a side by side can go but you will get a ton of az pin stripping. that's the hard part with a new truck like that.

I have a 2010 tacoma 4x4 double cab long bed with a 3 in lift and full belly armor. It also has a camper shell. If I were in the market again and doing it over I would have gone with a full size. I also have a CJ5 for off roading. I love the tacoma but could use a larger rear seat and the v-6 is pretty anemic with 33s and armor. Gas mileage isn't great either.

9D8A3899-8880-475C-BFE5-721B9629C731-247

DSCF0091.jpg

nice truck

• Like 1

The double cab long bed is kind of a compromise in a lot of things. I wanted the 6' bed so I could sleep in the back of it, but the longer wheelbase means its not so great offroad. It fits in places better than a full-size but not like a shorter wheelbased tacoma or jeep. Also you can't get the off road TRD package with the rear locker in the long bed configuration (no idea why Toyota did that).

I did what your thinking of doing last year. DON'T DO IT! Apples and oranges there. Sold my Dmax with 50,000 bought a half ton gas engine. Sellers and buys remorse Big time! Cussed myself for2 months. Sold the half ton bought another Dmax. Ahhhh.... Much better.

If you are looking for the nexus of power, torque and fuel economy in a gas engine take a look at the F150 with the turbo V6 Eco-boost engine. 350+ horsepower stock is no joke and if I keep it at prudent speeds I'm getting 22.5-25 MPG on the road in my 2012 F150 4x4.

For what it's worth, my previous truck was a stock '01 Taco TRD 4x4 with a 5 speed and the 3.4 V6. That motor was a dog and strained on the slightest incline towing my 14' aluminum...with OEM size BFG AT's it was lucky to get 18 on the highway and I stopped monitoring it in town because it was just making me angry :) I think you'll regret going from a Dodge diesel to a Tacoma.

Edit: I realize the OP doesn't care about MPG's after re-reading his posts...I'll still say in my opinion the only advantages to the newer generation of Tacos over full size trucks is the probability of lower cost of maintenance over the life of the vehicle and a high re-sale value.

The op said he wants a vehicle to take him anywhere his side-by-side can while keeping him warm, comfortable, out of the dust and to occasionally pull a bass boat. A Tacoma sounds like the perfect vehicle for your needs.

If I am reading your original post correctly you already have a ranger. Sounds like you have the perfect setup already. Haul your boat or ranger wherever you want with your cummins. Have you looked into the cab enclosures for the ranger? Maybe someone here can provide some feedback on how well they work.