Sign in to follow this  
Maverick351

what's the best bug repellent

I just try to stay covered up as much as possible and use chemicals like DEET to a minimum since they stink and definitely can't be good for things like your liver when it gets absorbed in through your skin.

I can't use Deet makes me sick :( I know to stay away from anything high in potassium before going out as that will attract twice as many blood suckers

and I really want to know why Noah didn't swat those 2 mosquitoes and the 2 ticks on the ark

• Like 1

If they are bad, I use my bug suit. I haven't found any spray that doesn't stink too much and I put too much time and effort into being scent free. I do carry a small sample size of bug spray in my pack at all times just in case though. The other good option is to take someone with you who the bugs like more. In my case it's my husband :0)

• Like 2

Cover up with loose clothing and use a high DEET content spray on your clothes. I don't want that crap on my skin either, but it's the only thing that REALLY works when they get bad.

I like to use the Citronella fuel Tiki Torches staked out around camp about 8 or ten do the trick. For hunting I use NO STINKING BUGS spray! I also take a little extra Bcomplex or garlic oil capsules!

I absolutely detest bug spray, hate the smell, hate the oil residue.

That being said I very reluctantly use Ben's 100% Deet to keep mosquitos away from my ears when I sleep on a cot under the stars, and that is usually after a few hours of fighting them off.

Cedar gnats and flies during the day while hunting in the fall are a whole other ball game. I think these things can drive a person mad, its not the bites I mind so much, its the noise and the getting in my eyes, nose and ears that makes fall tough.

Deet is very effective at keeping these insects away, although I have my reservations about any chemical that corrodes plastic (lost a few watch faces over the years) and some fabrics.

I have a can of Permethrin I have been meaning to use. It is only applied to fabric and is odorless after drying.

I thought that buying a mesh camo bug suit, gloves and head mask and spraying it with Permethrin would be the ticket for me to stay sane while hunting. Keeps the bugs away and my good camo free of toxins

Im curious if anyone has used it successfully?

Eating extra garlic will keep mosquitoes away. Don't laugh, they do not like the smell of garlic. I have done this many times and it has worked. Not sure if animals can smell it, if so, that may be a problem.

Regular laundry dry sheets work very well. I believe that Bounce or some other brand come in un-scented. It really works.

I use a thermacell all the time. Hunting for skeeters and at soccer games for those nasty little biting gnats. I hate bug spray and lotions. Thermacell was $20 well worth it!!!

Anybody use a thermocell in a blind before?
use it bear Hunting in Canada, actually two of them because the bugs are so thick! Best hunting invention in some time! I clip one to my pack and go!