Scooter

Situational Awareness... Feeling like a Jackwagon.

So I go out for coyotes with my homemade e-caller yesterday morning and I "know for sure" that coyotes are the only legal predator species right now... Made two sets and called in two nice big foxes and a bobcat that was meowing at my caller but I never could quite see it. The foxes came in from over 500 yards away 2 minutes after the call started and I just watched them filter down through the hillside like they were Plinko chips until they got within 60 yards of the caller. They paced back and forth trying to figure out where it was- just dancing there in front of me. I "knew" they weren't legal so it was just cool seeing them so close and so interested. Well, I get back to the truck and look up the reg booklet for when they will be legal and when I found the page in the regs... I said "$#*^%$#@&" very loudly because they opened up August 1st and I just let two fat beauties in their summer colors go. Never did see the bobcat but i would have tried to coax it in had I known... What an idiot I feel like!

• Like 1

Fur aint prime yet , aint worth skinning Taxidermist will throw it away and get a winter kill from a trapper or a caller who knows whats up! Then charge you a little extra on the job.... Probably slip when you strectch it.... In my book anyone who shoots fur bearers in August is a Jackwagon! Why shoot it if ya aint guuna at least skin it for the pelt!

Used to be October before you could shoot fur bearers ... Stupidist rule change ever!

• Like 2

Prime or not, shootem

PLEASE CALL ME JACKWAGON :P

• Like 3

I agree with rifleman, cant see any reason to shoot fur bearers when the fur is no good.I am taxidermist and if you brought it to me to mount you would be disapointed when you picked it up.You can't make a summer cat or fox look like one taken in january.

• Like 1

I clearly see your point, and your passion Rifleman. However, I do see the personal value in skinning it out myself- even if it isn't considered "Prime". I really have no intention of entering the fur trade on any scale. I just want to pelt them out, preserve it, and have the trophy on the wall and a good story for the people who get to see my man-cave. I know full-well that wintertime pelts from AZ bring a pretty penny at auctions. I just like to hunt as often as I can, and if it is legal- I'm gonna hunt (Jackwagon or not). If that upsets some people- then so be it. I also like having abundant populations of Rabbits and Mearns Quail, so killing a few of the dumber foxes that come in after just 30 seconds of my call is helping to balance out things.

On a side note- I got a really good look at the animals and they were pretty fat and bushy, albeit light colored and plain-jane except for the jet black tails. I wonder if all of this water has helped stave away mange and has helped them fatten up earlier this year???

• Like 5

^^^ That ain't me decribed there good sir, but you sure are entitled to your opinions and sweeping generalizations. I would NEVER pitch a critter in the brush, and I don't mangle up animals with a rifle and then take pictures of them. Heck, I'm not even much of a predator hunter- I only go maybe three or four times a year so I'm not out there decimating the populations of your precious winter fur. Winter time is when I chase big game with a bow and fowl on the wing... I've read your posts before- so I know you're always gonna be right and have the last word, so go on and have it then. Fair is fair.

• Like 6

If it's leagal, kill it if you want. If you don't like it, go pound sand. I like how some people just have the need to enforce thier will on others. Get a life.

• Like 6

Lol, let me guess what the rifleassclownman had to say; "I'm right, you're wrong, you should do things MY way or you're a terrible hunter as well as a horrible human being!"

Was I close? Lol, I was close huh? I blocked his butt a while ago and I can honestly say that I like this website a lot more. Hey I know! Let's everyone put him on our ignore list so he's left to talk to himself! Maybe then he'll see the error of his ways. I doubt it though...

• Like 2

Guys, please refrain from personal attacks....there is no value in it. You can state your opinions without personally bashing people. I can never understand why anyone would go out of their way to bash another hunter for legally hunting. Please guys, show some respect for fellow members. If you don't like the method of hunting they use, you can say so without belittling the other person.

• Like 8

kinda like screaming about the way someone boils down (to reduce mind you) prickly pear juice to use as a marinade. :lol: :lol: :lol: B)

James

• Like 1

Lol, let me guess what the rifleassclownman had to say; "I'm right, you're wrong, you should do things MY way or you're a terrible hunter as well as a horrible human being!" Was I close? Lol, I was close huh? I blocked his butt a while ago and I can honestly say that I like this website a lot more. Hey I know! Let's everyone put him on our ignore list so he's left to talk to himself! Maybe then he'll see the error of his ways. I doubt it though...

By the looks of you ignorant comes EZ!

• Like 1