Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

tree stands, blinds, camaras watch out!

If your vehicle is out on the side of a road or highway no matter how far its pulled off a patrol officer/DPS will stick a huge red sticker on it with a time and date to have the vehicle removed or it will be towed within 24 hours. I have had this happen and I was pulled way off the road in a pullout area and went hunting, those stickers are a pain to get off, and I know the officer had to know I was hunting by location and my bow case on the front seat Grrrrrrrrr, what a jerk.

I can see this happening to our cameras and stands/blinds in the future. I would rather see that then them just taking them at will but come on, 72 hours? that's ridiculous!! Maybe something like the 14 day camping rule. I guess if I had to I could live with that but for them to take them at 72 hours they are just being jerks IMO. That’s a stupid rule.

Can anyone find this in writing??

GBA

Do a search on this forum. The 72 hours thingy was discussed about three or four months ago.

I can see their point. The FS is not the G&F, they're not there to make hunters happy, they're there to conserve the forest for everybody, hunters, fisher, hikers, backpackers, family campers, etc. I've known some hikers & backpackers that hate the cameras & would love to see them gone. I'm pretty sure the FS has received more than a couple complaints from non hunters regarding the stuff left behind by hunters.

The simple solution: leave no trace. I'm carrying a climber with me this year on my backpacking hunt.

I've never seen one of them pick up a beer can or cigarette butt.

FS employees or hikers? I can't speak for everyone, but I very often end up carrying out more than I packed in, whether I'm hunting or just hiking.

I'm not saying they're right for taking people's property, I'm just saying I can see the point. The forest is for everyone, not just hunters, & lots of people don't want to have their pics taken by our trail cams or see our treestands & blinds while they're out enjoying nature in their own way. Just another reason why I stay a considerable distance away from roads & hiking trails. The two cams I have out now both require a hike of over a mile to reach.

• Like 1

I can see their point. The FS is not the G&F, they're not there to make hunters happy, they're there to conserve the forest for everybody, hunters, fisher, hikers, backpackers, family campers, etc. I've known some hikers & backpackers that hate the cameras & would love to see them gone. I'm pretty sure the FS has received more than a couple complaints from non hunters regarding the stuff left behind by hunters.

The simple solution: leave no trace. I'm carrying a climber with me this year on my backpacking hunt.

FS employees or hikers? I can't speak for everyone, but I very often end up carrying out more than I packed in, whether I'm hunting or just hiking.

I'm not saying they're right for taking people's property, I'm just saying I can see the point. The forest is for everyone, not just hunters, & lots of people don't want to have their pics taken by our trail cams or see our treestands & blinds while they're out enjoying nature in their own way. Just another reason why I stay a considerable distance away from roads & hiking trails. The two cams I have out now both require a hike of over a mile to reach.

FS.

They like screwing with people and taking their s**t, but I've never seen one picking up some losers camp site trash

Perhaps it's because I grew up hunting private land or perhaps it's because I had about a ten year gap in hunting during which many of the things taken became main stream hunting gear, but I don't get the sense of entitlement surrounding ones ability to leave cameras, tree stands, and blinds on public land. Adding that the sense of entitlement seemingly drives the use of those same devices to mark ones territory on public land, leading to confrontation in the field.

I've never said I'm a smart man, but I'd be willing to bet the equipment being taken has more to do with FS employees attempting to discourage and intimidate hunters in order to protect areas they plan to hunt. Again, going back to entitlement, they probably think that since they are the ones out there maintaining the forests that they should be the ones harvesting wildlife.

Perhaps it's because I grew up hunting private land or perhaps it's because I had about a ten year gap in hunting during which many of the things taken became main stream hunting gear, but I don't get the sense of entitlement surrounding ones ability to leave cameras, tree stands, and blinds on public land. Adding that the sense of entitlement seemingly drives the use of those same devices to mark ones territory on public land, leading to confrontation in the field.

I've never said I'm a smart man, but I'd be willing to bet the equipment being taken has more to do with FS employees attempting to discourage and intimidate hunters in order to protect areas they plan to hunt. Again, going back to entitlement, they probably think that since they are the ones out there maintaining the forests that they should be the ones harvesting wildlife.

FS.

They like screwing with people and taking their s**t, but I've never seen one picking up some losers camp site trash

I'm sure they drove by a multitude of old tires, televisions, discarded tinsel covered Christmas trees and hundreds of beer cans left behind by the non hunting crowd.

You'd have a difficult time finding FS employees who hunt. Most likely their sense of entitlement is related closer to the fact that they think the forests belong to THEM and that we are just a nuisance they have to endure.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys ripping the Forest Service with your broad brush could go out and scout the old fashion way. Sit on a hill and look around. Instead of filling the forest with your high tech gadgets. What is the difference between a beer can or a trail camera left on public property? The forest is not your personel property.

There were pearls of wisdom in ths thread. If you need to put out stuff, dont put it out in plain sight next to waterholes, roads, trails, etc. Nobody will complain about stuff they cant see.

• Like 2

One thing some of these Federal numbnut employees don't seem to realize, is that it is National Forest, that is owned by "WE THE PEOPLE" by all Americans in common their salary comes from our tax dollar, and they have no proprietary right to the land itself The NFS are the stewards of this land, and yes, we do have to follow certain rules and regulations. But hunters have the right to use access and use this land . Confiscating cams, blinds, stands etc, is just wrong. I can understand if something was abandoned, but a 72 hour rule. Really.?

Too many whackjobs running the NFS.

They should at least have a time period where hunters can reclaim their personal property if it is marked with their name.

Part of me understands the rule with regards to stands. Just because you get your stand up last year and never took it down, does this mean I can't hunt there yet again for another year? Or for that matter, if you put the stand up a month ahead of time you are claiming an area that doesn't really belong to only you. I understand and am courteous to other people who have "claimed" spots, but at least 50% of the time we've found the favor was not returned. It's a fact - the forest belongs to all of us and some people share better than others.

As for cameras, I have them and I use them, but probably about half as many as I used to and leave them out for a less amount of time. Thefts are ever increasing so I listen to what's being said. I take them further away from where other people tend to go and hide them better, but I know every single time that when we come back it may not be there. Will I be upset? Yes, but I knew the risk when I placed it. People just aren't made the way we would all like them to be, people have their own agendas, and don't really give a hoot about who the camera belongs to. Unless you are going to camp out on your camera to protect it, once you leave it's out of your control.

Definition of abandon = to forsake completely; desert; leave behind: to abandon a baby ; drivers had to abandon their cars

I feel it tends to border on stealing if there is no formal notice of abandonment with a sticker or a phone call. If my camera is locked with identification, it clearly belongs to somebody who doesn't want anyone to take it.

The Forrest Service has been taking "abandoned hunting gear" for years, and not only in Arizona. Michigan has a law that all stands/blinds need to have the name, address, and phone number of the owner. Arizona should have the same law. If the Forrest Service takes this property because it was " abandoned", then they should contact the owner, and give out a small fine and return the property. No information = scrap, small fine means that people get their expensive property back with a lesson learned, and the Forrest Service gets revenue. I wish I had a buck, pun intended, for every time someone moved in on my spot or area. Just have to get along, and realize that on any given hunt, someone could be unhappy. If we all lived the Golden Rule as sportsmen life would be much more relaxing.

I use cameras too & I don't want them taken by anyone.

However..... I've come across many a treestand that's there year after year, all year long. They should be removed.

In fact, I think the type of equipment is irrelevant. Hunters leaving any piece of equipment out unattended is no different than if a bunch of backpackers started setting up tents deep in wilderness areas, because they'll be back in a few months or next year or whatever.

Wilderness areas & National Forests in every state I've been in have signs all over the place, especially in trailhead parking areas, that say very plainly, "Leave no trace". Why does that not include cameras or treestands? Do you guys really think that because you spend a couple bucks on a deer/elk/whatever tag that the rules should be different for you? Get off your high horse. The forest is there for everyone to enjoy, not just us. Period.

AS for me, I'm leaving my cameras out. But if they disappear, it's on me & I'll not come on here crying & whining about it. It's the price you pay for the info you're trying to gather, so either accept the risk of loss or spend the effort to hike into a more remote location.

• Like 1