Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

unretreaved animals

that is why there should be an archery hunter safety course. No more over the counter unless u pass a test period. HELLO!!! why for guns and not for arrow flinging rookies?

:lol: That's funny

You must be a young man,this has been a problem forever,you think bow hunters are bad arrows sticking out the butt, the

neck ,the eye. but gun hunters are even worse saw a bull hit 6 times and they didn't even look for blood untell I had a good chat with them.you seem to be spending a lot of time worring about deer, don't you have a elk tag?and a good one one where you can kill a 370 plus bull.

Seldom Drawn

ya i'm 45 i have seen it all my life. was just asking a quistion , wasn't trying to piss anyone off i no it happens , didn't say it never happened to me. I saw a bull during antilope season in 4a with an arrow in his foot. never said anyone should take a class and wasn't trying to say anyone was a bad person , just said some time we should take better shots . sorry if i upset anyone. I will keep my thoughts to my self. and yes i do have a great hunt coming up . sorry again

I wasn't trying to piss anyone off either,I have just seen this for a long time.

' people taking shots they shouldn't take, but what can be done to change them.

a class maybe but I don't think that would help much.I think with the new technolgy

in bows you get a lot of people that buy a bow, can hit the target in a couple hours

and go hunting that have never hunted before.

Seldom Drawn

Back in NY, I had to take a Bowhunter Education Course, but it did not require qualification. You had to buy a special bowhunting stamp after you had the certificate, too. When I was stationed at Ft Hood- they reqired you to hit an 8" paper plate with three broadhead tipped arrows at 20 and 30 yards each before they'd sign off on your archery license to hunt on-base. On the Lake Georgetown WMA in central TX there is a yearly lottery for permits and they also require that you qualify with your bow before you are allowed to hunt. I don't see the big problem with qualification for any weapon. Arizona is the first place I've been where there literally is no requirement for bowhunters to either get a special stamp or qualify in some form.

You can't fix poor ethics with a class or certification. Maybe showing grusome pictures in class might plant a seed... It all starts with proper teaching from a good mentor, when you're young. I would rather pass on a questionable shot and chase that awesome buck/bull another day, than take a bad shot and never see it again. I taught my boys and a few other youths that way and will not share a hunt camp with someone who is not ethical.

You can't fix poor ethics with a class or certification. Maybe showing grusome pictures in class might plant a seed... It all starts with proper teaching from a good mentor, when you're young. I would rather pass on a questionable shot and chase that awesome buck/bull another day, than take a bad shot and never see it again. I taught my boys and a few other youths that way and will not share a hunt camp with someone who is not ethical.

That's true- now that I look at it, about the only thing you are qualifying is that the person can stand there and hit a stationary target accurately from a specified range. That would only eliminate the marginal hits and unretrieved game caused by inexperienced and inaccurate SHOOTERS... The poor ethics isn't an accuracy problem... it's a cultural problem.

Onto my next part of this... when you hear that somebody hit and didn't follow up or retrieve the animal, what is your reaction? Most people I know would probably say "man, that's too bad" or some other superficial comment then complain as soon as they got away from the guy who wounded the animal. I've tried to get a guy to eat his tag before back in NY. He gut-shot a doe and she ran into private property where the landowner was a S.O.B. and nobody ever wanted to run into him... well, I told the guy to go over there and explain what happened and ask if the animal could be retrieved and he told me "I ain't going over there for a doe"... Well, I told him he'd better call NYSDEC to work it out with the landowner or burn one of his three doe permits and he got all mad and we've never hunted together since and I had him removed from the list of people who had permission to hunt the private parcel I was on. Good riddance. I also have had guys bug me about going duck and dove hunting only to have them at the end of the hunt try to give me all their birds like they're doing me a favor or something... WTF?! CLEAN AND EAT THEM YOURSELF!!! I usually end up in a verbal argument with them too- and I never hunt with them again. I've had some doves that I knocked down disappear on me and I personally just count them towards my limit. That's my ethics, YMMV

• Like 2

good ethics, why hunt if you don't eat it . not trying to retrieve a wounded animal, is kind of like being in a car accedent and the ambulance driving right on by. only my thought

good ethics, why hunt if you don't eat it . not trying to retrieve a wounded animal, is kind of like being in a car accedent and the ambulance driving right on by. only my thought

seriously... really bothered me that one of my good friends would act like that after the hunt. Now, before I take anyone out, I make sure they know that their birds are THEIR birds. I am more than happy to help clean them, but they aren't coming home in my cooler unless I ask them for the meat.

• Like 1