Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

road hunting

sorry to here that. my dad broke his neck hunting alone up by ashfork took himm 3 days to craw out and get home he should be dead but hes still going, hes 73 and can't even amagine the day he can't hunt anymore. we purchased him a spot with the free helicopter ride included. he wont quit, he doesn't road hunt yet but when the time comes i'll drive him. sorry about your freind

Who cares?!?!?! I mean really, why does it bother you guys so much? I don't really care for road hunting myself, but I can really care less if anyone else wants too. It means less pressure where I go. And I for the life of me can't see why it's even illegal and frowned upon

A good friend of mine was killed by a "road hunter" (in NY), the guy took a shot at a buck in a field and missed the deer hitting my friend center chest as he sat in the treeline....

So Yeah, I have no love for "roadhunters"...

A "hunter"running the roads, dirt or paved, looking to shoot game is NOT hunting, and is no better then poachers looking to take the easy way...IMHO

MuleDeerArea33 I respect your efforts to continue hunting for your Dad, but your method is not only illegal, but very dangerous...

My only issue with road hunters IS the safety issue. Especially with firearms. Road hunters happen onto a situation and are totally focused on the game at hand and are oblivious to anything else.

BTW, road hunting has been perfected by Utah bow hunters. Those of you who've been there know what I'm talking about. lol

/>Who cares?!?!?! I mean really, why does it bother you guys so much? I don't really care for road hunting myself, but I can really care less if anyone else wants too. It means less pressure where I go. And I for the life of me can't see why it's even illegal and frowned upon.

And I really disagree with the statement that road hunters are the leading cause of unretrieved game. I think guys that hike into deep, nasty, rugged canyons taking 500+ yard shots across them probably check for blood far more often. I here far more tales from people saying they missed clean without checking for blood in the back country more than I do from guys driving down the road.

I FULLY AGREE WITH SECOND HALF OF THIS POST! if you take the shot you better take the hike.. if i suspect a hit im committed to looking for blood the rest of that day or the next morning..

• Like 1

Oh and speaking of area...unit33 i was down there about 8-10 yrs ago pig hunting behind san manuel.. we were walking a ridge when this vehicle below driving crazy with guys in seats mounted in back of truck pulled up to waterhole and when ducks flew all 4 guys started shooting with their center fire rifles.. did i mention we were on the ridge above??? all we could do is drop face first in the dirt till a good 10 bullets passed. IDIOTS! and im relatively sure the ducks found new water by the time the last drunken bullet had been fired! yes they were residents of unit 33.

wow!! Ive had that happen too in unit 33, also had a bullet hit the dirt about 15 feet from my uncle and myself in unit 28. heard the shot after we saw the dust in front of us. we were over a mile from the road on the hackberry. so your grouping everyone who currently lives in a certain unit into one cateogry?

/>wow!! Ive had that happen too in unit 33, also had a bullet hit the dirt about 15 feet from my uncle and myself in unit 28. heard the shot after we saw the dust in front of us. we were over a mile from the road on the hackberry. so your grouping everyone who currently lives in a certain unit into one cateogry?

Not unless you drive a truck with seats mounted in back of your tuck! Or maybe if your one of the residents there that dumps there old electronics and hazmat up hill-upstream of their houses... 0_o i have had lead hit dirt around me in every unit i hunt but san manuel lead in air was most memorable..

ROAD HUNTING IS ILLEGAL. PERIOD. THE. END. boss you really have no legs to stand on here.. just like we will be seeing some of our fellow coues hunters on the big jumbo tron cuz they will get caught baiting... it is awesome you wanna take dad hunting and it hap,pens to be on rd i would just encourage you to choose shotgun shooting shot as weapon of choice and make the game squirel, quail, dove, rabbit etc that way we wont have to pay the price with possibly our life.

isn't the rule passing the same spot within 15 minutes and loaded guns in the truck. i was in kaibab in 2002 and saw a guy get stuck with an arrow from his buddy in the back of a truck when the driver made a sudden stop. almost blead out

/> wow!! Ive had that happen too in unit 33, also had a bullet hit the dirt about 15 feet from my uncle and myself in unit 28. heard the shot after we saw the dust in front of us. we were over a mile from the road on the hackberry. so your grouping everyone who currently lives in a certain unit into one cateogry?

Not unless you drive a truck with seats mounted in back of your tuck! Or maybe if your one of the residents there that dumps there old electronics and hazmat up hill-upstream of their houses... 0_o i have had lead hit dirt around me in every unit i hunt but san manuel lead in air was most memorable..

Hog guy, You have muledeer way misunderstood. He aint out driving roads with loaded guns in the truck looking to shoot game. Also the way I understand the law is. If a person with a valid tag is out and about and finds a deer or elk from the road he can legally shoot at it as long as he is not in the vehicle and not shooting from the road or across the road.

Keep on road hunting!! Stay away from me, haha.

I second liking road hunters. I can only imagine how many hunters I would see crawling all over the little patches of none road areas left in the state if they all got out of their trucks. I do have an issue when they don't stay on the roads! had a stock blown this weekend when some lazy fat man decided to drive his quad in an open meadow scaning my favorite tree line where there was no road! second time it's happened to me in that spot I'm going to have to start reporting people. although I doubt g&f have man power to follow up.

/>I second liking road hunters. I can only imagine how many hunters I would see crawling all over the little patches of none road areas left in the state if they all got out of their trucks. I do have an issue when they don't stay on the roads! had a stock blown this weekend when some lazy fat man decided to drive his quad in an open meadow scaning my favorite tree line where there was no road! second time it's happened to me in that spot I'm going to have to start reporting people. although I doubt g&f have man power to follow up.

Their to busy steaking out cabela's and sportsmans for corn buyers! :-()