GRONG

Epperson's Africa Plains game Hunt with GreaterKuduLandSafaris

Sorry everyone, I thought I'd have the 2nd part of the hunt already posted but life turns in different directions without having plans for such. After posting the thread and enjoying everyone's comments I got sick. Not being one to run to the hospital for something small I fought the painful feeling in my gut for a day and a half before I said "I GIVE!!!!" Got to the hospital around 10AM on the 1st and within 2 hours they were putting me under. My appendix had burst late Friday night and Sunday morning I just couldn't take it anymore. Due to the degree to which it burst and contaminated my guts I had to stay until my intestines cleared enough where things could move on their own. So yesterday around 1PM they finally let me go, 9 days later. Oh my gosh did that suck. I only lost 12 lbs but the hollow eyed look I have from being sick keeps me from the mirror. LOL!!! Was totally looking forward to archery elk hunting with a good friend of mine next wknd but I'll just have to wait to see how my recovery is going. For all of you who knew what was going on thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers, they mean/meant a ton to me and my family. Thanks so much and I'll try to get the last part of the hunt uploaded soon as I get caught up with my business work.

OH and THANK GOD this didn't happen while I was on the trip to Africa!!! Who knows what a serious mess I'd be in if that would've happened. YEECH!!!

Glad you're out of the hospital and hopefully feeling better. Bummer to miss archery elk with your buddy, but yeah that would have sucked to get sick like that in Africa. Burst appendix is no joke!

HECK ya LOVE IT. I have always wanted an Impala. Super jealous!!! Congrats and can't wait to see more pics!!!

Great write up!

Josh,

Your write-up about your illness sounded exactly like the description I have given of my very same ordeal, even the mention of mirrors and the hollow eyes! I kept putting off going to the doctor as well, figuring it would go away, but when I couldn't take the pain anymore and went in they said they thought my appendix could have burst up to a week earlier! I was in the hospital for a week as well, and definitely know what you mean about the sunken in eyes etc. I would jump and scare myself when I saw someone I didn't recognize out of the corner of my eye, every time I passed a mirror! Seriously, no joke. Wasn't much fun to get up and walk those first few days, was it! Glad you're doing better.

I hope your recovery is quick! Your write up definitely got my blood pumping/research going/ and piggy bank filling going full speed! I'll be on a fairly tight budget but was wondering if you could answer a few questions. What did you do with the meat? Is it allowed into the states? And if so how much am I looking at bringing it back? Besides airfare, hunt and taxidermy costs what other expenses should I be prepared for? Also I'm looking at going for just a kudu but was wondering after your experience what your #1 trophy would be after such an amazing trip. I'll also be bow hunting and might have 1 or two people going with me. congradulations and again I hope the recovery is swift.

Almost, All meat that isn't consumed at the Ranch gets sold I believe. We weren't allowed to bring any back, wasn't even an option. So if you go eat as much kudu as you can, that stuff is AMAZING! I think kudu's on the ranch we went on was $1700. You should have $500-1000 extra for tips and unexpected airline B.S. that they always have a way of sticking to you. And just so you know, I only went for a kudu and gemsbok and ended up taking 4 more animals and wanted more!! Kill everything you can while you're there cause it's cheaper than going back! I would've loved to have taken an Nyala and an Eland but those dudes are nearly as pricey. Warthogs and impalas were around $400 if I remember right and the Springbok was $600-650 I think. Give Howard a call, I'm dead serious, you will NOT be unimpressed by their accommodations and professionalism!

I never even saw this thread!!!! Holy crap what an awesome trip. Way too cool....Glad you recovered...