Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

drop tine bucks - how rare are they?

In 40 years of hunting I don't recall seeing a deer with a drop tine. Perhaps I'm hunting the wrong gene pool? Seen many monster mulies and coues both though and taken a top 10 coues (121) with a bow.

in 2009 during my elk hunt my brother and I saw a huge double drop tine Muley. What a buck of a life time! I drempt about going up after him the next year. That dream was shattered when a guy from Flaggstaff killed him during the rifle season. I believe he went 205 non-typical gross.

That was the only drop tine I have ever seen.

GBA

Have not seen a drop tine but recently while helping my buddy on his archery hunt we came across a buck with two spikes on his left side and a fork on his right. Was a young buck but almost to rare to pass up. Wife and I have our hunt in same unit come October and knowing my wife she wont pass on it. Going to be an awesome non-typical with age.

+1. Depends on where you hunt. Around Kingman it's not in the genes, on the Kaibab I see them, young and old, that have droppers of various sizes/configurations pretty frequently.

Killed this guy last year. Not the biggest buck I have killed but definitely the coolest one. He ended up scoring 168 but only because of his 8 inch drop tine. Earlier that year while scouting I saw another buck in velvet with a drop tine but only saw him once. I am pretty sure it could be that same buck koury just posted a picture of. The drop was angled like that and I know they hunt that same area.

IMG950970.jpg

• Like 2

Seen a couple in Kaibab. One in 23. Never close enough for a decent shot though.