Sign in to follow this  
Avid Hunter

You don't see this very often... Banded Dove

Well I always figured I would shoot a banded duck before shooting a banded dove, but it happened yesterday. Out in Gila Bend yesterday morning while cleaning the birds I looked down and was shocked to see a band on this guys foot. I almost didn't even notice it. My Dad had shot a banded dove 20+ years ago at Robbins Butte, but that was a bird actually banded by AZGFD at Robbins Butte. I called up the number on the band and was surprised that the bird was banded in Salt Lake City in August of 2012. Crazy these little guys make such long flights. I know they migrate but never really think about it. Anyways we thought it was pretty neat. I've shot a lottt of dove and never figured I'd ever see a band. Guess I better pay more attention now when cleaning them.

Anyone else ever shoot one?

20130908_080136_zps81febe77.jpg

• Like 3

Guest oneshot

I've caught tagged striped bass before, a buddy got a check for$200.00 for one he caught.... I got a ballcap....

Cool deal with the Dove...

Banded birds are always a great find!!!

You don't see this every day:

The second day of the season I put my 20ga O/U ahead of a pair of birds and pulled the trigger- dropping both birds. Rare occurence? Nope, not really.

What made this event rare is that when I went up to look for them I couldn't find them right away, so my good friend walked up to help recover the birds, and he found both of them... literally dead on top of one another! He calls me over and we stood there staring at them for a minute thinking never in a million years could that whole thing be duplicated.

Funny thing is the guy i sit next to in my Chem lab did an internship with AZGFD this past summer banding doves, he said he banded probably 900 birds? I think? Makes me really want to shoot one though! Cool find!

I wonder how many bands they collect down in Argentina???

A buddy of mine post a pic on FB of a banded dove he took this year, all I can say is that I want one already!

Guest akaspecials

Very cool. I'm still waiting for my first banded bird! I always try to look at flocks of ducks before I shoot to see if any are sporting jewelry before I pick my bird.

I wonder how many bands they collect down in Argentina???

Different type of Doves down there, ours don't migrate to there.

A few years back we had a big black lab named Moose. We periodically have birds hit the back window and apparently when we were gone a dove hit the window and Moose grabbed it. When I went out back there were feathers and one leg left. That leg had a band on it! I called the number and the lady gave me the information on it. When she asked how it died I told her it was killed and eaten by a Moose. I followed that with an explanation after she quit laughing. We got a certificate the same as above and I put the band on Moose's collar. He's 1 up on me and he wore it proud. Miss the old boy.

They sent this to me over email.. pretty neat to see more detailed info

BirdBand_zps62454dc4.jpeg

cool, thanks for sharing the info and for turning it in. "Encountered" ....you would think they might have a different designation for a hunter killed bird.