Sign in to follow this  
srfrost45

What is considered baiting?

So I called AZGFD so I could get some clear answers on what I could and couldnt do when it comes to putting down salt. The answers were vague to say the least. Can anyone give me the "gospel" as it pertains to what we can and cant use? From reading the regs I understand we can use Salt and water but nothing that is edible or ingestible that is used to attract animals to a certain area for the purpose of harvesting them (pg 125 of the regs). I also read that we can use any lure, attractants or cover scents as long as they do not contain cervid urine (pg 124 of the regs) (R12-4-303). Is this ya'lls understanding? If we cant use cervide (doe)urine can we use estrus or synthetic urine or estrus? Let me know your thoughts please.

I was told that sitting over a gut pile in the hope that a bear might come in would be considered baiting. I think if you put anything down you run the risk of a ticket. jmo

I have been in contact with azgfd in the past week and it all depends on who you talk to. One game & fish employee told me only ranchers could put salt out and it was illegal for hunters to use any salt. Then I talked with another employee, from another regional office, and she said it was ok to put out the white or mineral salt. Ten minutes later she called me and told me no salt by hunters where allowed and she changed her mind because she talked with the first regional office that I talked with.

Then my buddy called the phoenix office and actually talked to a field officer and the officer gave him his badge # and name. The field officer said it was ok to use the white and the mineral blocks by hunters.

I'm going with what the field officer said and take my chances. I also will carry a copy of his name and badge # along with a copy of the new ruling with my license just in case. :)

TJ

• Like 1

I am not worried about the salt. I think the regs are pretty clear you can use that and water. My only question is about the cervid urine. If it is synthetic cervid urine then it technically desnt contain any cervid urine. The guy I spoke to said any natural cervid urine or lure was illegal but synthetic was okay. I guess I need to call back and do as you did and get a name and badge number or the field officer. I actually have a AZGFD Warden in my neighborhood so I will check with him too.

To my knowledge/understanding, salt would only be okay if it were placed there as a result of normal agricultural activities and not solely intended for the purpose of hunting over it.

All of this can be quite confusing, and there are numerous regulations that cover these topics depending on which critter you may be hunting.

There are federal regulations that are rather broad regarding baiting waterfowl or migratory birds. Don't even think about it. You can hunt around normal agricultural practices or food plots.

Bears have had a prohibition on baiting for quite a while. Again, don't even think about it. These are state regulations, but again preclude virtually any baiting of bears.

During the last year, additional state rules were promulgated that regulate the placement of bait for other big game. There are 4 things that are exempted. Those things are: (1) water (so you can place water out to bait in deer), (2) salt (you can use water softener salt or white salt blocks, or even organic sea salt if you wish), or (3) salt-based products manufactured for the livestock industry (so you can use a trace mineral salt block). Finally, you can hunt over a nutritional supplement that has been placed by a livestock producer for his livestock (so you can hunt over a molasses wheel, but you can't place the molasses wheel yourself).

Cervid urine is another recent change (prohibition). The recent rules were intended to address potential CWD issues in part, and the cervid urine is that entirely. You can use a synthetic, but not the real stuff. If you use the real stuff, you are spreading urine from captive game farm cervids. Urine carries prions, which are involved in CWD transmission. Consequently, you are spreading captive cervid urine, which is where the most likely source of CWD may come from, around Arizona where no CWD currently occurs. Synthetics won't spread the prions or CWD.

Hopefully this clears up some of this confusion.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief

• Like 16

Thanks Brian for clearing up alot of my worries. That pretty much is straight forward. Kudos for posting the information. :)

TJ

Chief Wakeling,

Thank you for your assistance. I think the regs are pretty stright forward but in our desire to abide by the laws I just wanted to double check. I had heard some differring opinions from others but even called the AZGFD office for info and was still kind of confused. This is a perfect direct answer and we appreciate your time and assistance.

• Like 1

Great info thanks, so as a ranch volunteer I will be putting out a lot of deer cane #6 for the cows. They really love that stuff, it gives them a shiny coat. Kidding of course, thanks again

• Like 1

/>Great info thanks, so as a ranch volunteer I will be putting out a lot of deer cane #6 for the cows. They really love that stuff, it gives them a shiny coat. Kidding of course, thanks again

Since this was said and Brian made it pretty clear but still im little confused.. sorry.. so deer caine and all the gallon jugs of sweet stuff like buck jam are out correct?? unless the caine is powder or block form.? Man i sure saw a ton of it walking out the doors at cabela's and sportsmans in july/aug

/> Great info thanks, so as a ranch volunteer I will be putting out a lot of deer cane #6 for the cows. They really love that stuff, it gives them a shiny coat. Kidding of course, thanks again

Since this was said and Brian made it pretty clear but still im little confused.. sorry.. so deer caine and all the gallon jugs of sweet stuff like buck jam are out correct?? unless the caine is powder or block form.? Man i sure saw a ton of it walking out the doors at cabela's and sportsmans in july/aug

deer cane is NOT manufactured for the livestock industries...nor is buck jam or any of the other attractants although they may be salt based.

pure salt of any kind, table salt- iodized salt, sea salt, pool salt, water softener salt, is ok... mineral blocks/ or granulated made for livestock industries are ok..... I saw plenty of violations in aug/sept including corn in 22 and 23. the warden even came up to my brother in law while he was sitting a spring ( not far from the road) looking to see if he was baiting and said he was giving out warnings... wonder if he found the feeder that was about 1/4 mile from where he was sitting that another hunter had placed there????

James

Thank you Brian for giving a straightforward answer clears up alot of questions...