8OWHUNT247

Taxidermy Nightmare!

So, I take my largest Mule Deer to date to "Taxidermy AZ" here in Phoenix. Jeff Paulson had quite the portfolio and is obviously a talented person. I was really starting to get excited to get my wall pedestal back, time wise, it should have been here already. Next, I get an email from Jeff with the subject "Trophy Update", I get a big ol' smile thinking its an update of good news. Instead, this is what is attached.

November 04, 2013 Dear Valued Customer, First and foremost I would like to thank you for your patronage and all the wonderful friends and customers I have had the pleasure to meet over the past three years while operating Taxidermy AZ, it has been a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, circumstances related to zoning in the city of Glendale have forced my hand and resulted in the closing of the Taxidermy AZ studios. After careful thought and consideration I wanted to emphasize to you and ensure you that your mount will be completed in a professional manner with the assistance of my brother, also a licensed taxidermist in the city of Phoenix. Please understand your trophy is completely safe and you are at no risk of loosing your valuable trophy. With that being said my Tom brother will be finishing up the balance of my workload while I go back to work to provide the finances required to complete each mount. Please be patient as the work is transitioned and completed as quickly and efficiently as possible without jeopardizing quality. However, If for any reason you wish to terminate our contract and take possession of your trophy I completely understand. All I ask is that you please provide me written notice and allow 24 hrs for me to get your trophy ready for pick up. I look forward to hearing from you and hope you will allow us to finish your trophy in the coming months. Kind regards, Jeff Paulson

My heart sank.. Last time I spoke with him he said he had just got my hide back. I am assuming (because he won't respond to emails) that that's where it sits now.. Horns, Completed Hide, and ....????... Is anyone else dealing with this now? Hopefully a taxidermist sponsor on this site can give me some suggestions. Do I need to worry and get my incomplete deer back from him? Thanks, looking forward to thoughts..

Dude go pick it up ASAP!!!! At least he gave you noticed. The one I was using skipped town paid in full, never to be seen again.

• Like 4

Before anything else occurs, go get your hide and horns NOW! Do not walk -- RUN!!!

"With that being said my Tom brother will be finishing up the balance of my workload while I go back to work to provide the finances required to complete each mount." indicates to me that it could be a long while before your mount is done. AND...I doubt anything concerning zoning had anything to do with him going out of business.

Here's an old thread from 2012 onTaxidermy.Net

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=320843.0

Is this the email you have for him?

taxidermyazinformation@gmail.com

• Like 1

Dude go pick it up ASAP!!!! At least he gave you noticed. The one I was using skipped town paid in full, never to be seen again.

this happened with my dad and his best buck, think he took it somewhere in flagstaff. was like 20 years ago.

Hopefully he will jump in here but I would recommend a phone call to Jim Hartsock. Not only is he an incredible taxidermy artist, he is a solid businessman, and a genuine pleasure to be around. I am confident he will steer you in the right direction whether he finishes your mount or not. Southwest Wildlife who is a Sponsor on here. Look him up.

I sincerely hope this turns out well for you in the end. Good luck!

• Like 1

Give Jim Hartsock a call at southwest wildlife. He does incredible work ( has done several of mine) and is very honest. He will steer you in the right direction, and if he finishes your mount, I promise that you wont be disappointed. Good luck.

• Like 1

Before anything else occurs, go get your hide and horns NOW! Do not walk -- RUN!!!

"With that being said my Tom brother will be finishing up the balance of my workload while I go back to work to provide the finances required to complete each mount." indicates to me that it could be a long while before your mount is done. AND...I doubt anything concerning zoning had anything to do with him going out of business.

Here's an old thread from 2012 onTaxidermy.Net

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=320843.0

Is this the email you have for him?

taxidermyazinformation@gmail.com

Yes, thats the email I have for him. He hasnt replied to any yet.

I am going to go beat the door down today and get my deer back... I hope.

There is more to just opening up a taxidermy shop than some people realize. You have to have ALL the correct permits. Lots of places in the cities are zoned where you cannot run a business out of your home. Most legit taxidermists I know have an actual building where they conduct business. Proper research from you will usually weed out most of these problems. Legit guys like myself, Jim, Weller's, we all have taken the proper steps to be sure that these types of issues do not arise. Thusly our business's are seen here on this site as sponsors, advertising, on google, we all have websites. These are just small things but they really determine how serious we are about our profession. Don't become victim to a good deal from so and so down the road. It might work out for you most of the time, but it could come around and turn into a nightmare like 8OWHUNT247! Sorry to hear this.

It does sound like the guy is an all around good guy in his effort to let you know. But I would be really hesitant to leave it with him/them, especially since someone else that you do not know is now in charge of it. I am not sure if you will get your deposit back, if you left one??? Unless you have some type of proof from him and you in place, like an invoice or receipt. But most likely if he doesn't readily offer up a refund you will have to take him to court to get it. Someone more in line with the law there might have more expertise in that department, but I would consider it a success if you at least get your trophy back!

• Like 3

If he tanned your hide and is willing to give back your horns, how much money are you really out? I know with my taxi, I usually give him atleast half down. I am not sure what other taxidermists will charge to complete, but I know it will be less than their full price. Hopefully you were only doing a shoulder mount and should only be out 100-200$ after taking into consideration the tanning. Good luck and I hope this doesn't happen to too many other.

I am sure one of the sponsors on here will help you out in any way they can.

He had a big beautiful shop, then reduced down to his house, and then the letter. I felt I wasn't going to the "Guy down the road".. I am the guy that believes tattoo's and taxidermy should never go to the lowest bidder, that's just 2 important things that you hope looks good in 30 years. He had ads in sportsmens, a website( http://www.taxidermyaz.com/ ) which is now all different, and was clearly an artist which to me was the most important. He had a few racks COVERED in customers antlers, so there are a lot of people that feel the same way I do. (He even told me he had the new State Record Catfish just a couple short months ago)

That said, I do not like the idea of passing my deer around and I also expect a response from someone within a week. I am trying not to get to carried away but I would rather have my stuff back then sit up and worry. If I am out a couple hundred for peace of mind that they won't disappear, so be it. So, I stopped by on the way home, he didn't get the door. I ended up just leaving my card, hopefully he gets in touch with me. After that, one of the sponsers on this site will get their hands on it, who knows maybe it was for the best. I'm sure quality starts to slip while dealing with such major issues. I appreciate the coments and will keep you guys posted, I really hope it works out. I've chased deer my whole life taking the first legal opportunity the good woods would give up. I don't push arrows through big racks very often..

Here's to this guy....

post-9498-0-79134400-1385161024_thumb.jpg

There is more to just opening up a taxidermy shop than some people realize. You have to have ALL the correct permits. Lots of places in the cities are zoned where you cannot run a business out of your home. Most legit taxidermists I know have an actual building where they conduct business. Proper research from you will usually weed out most of these problems. Legit guys like myself, Jim, Weller's, we all have taken the proper steps to be sure that these types of issues do not arise. Thusly our business's are seen here on this site as sponsors, advertising, on google, we all have websites. These are just small things but they really determine how serious we are about our profession. Don't become victim to a good deal from so and so down the road. It might work out for you most of the time, but it could come around and turn into a nightmare like 8OWHUNT247! Sorry to hear this.

It does sound like the guy is an all around good guy in his effort to let you know. But I would be really hesitant to leave it with him/them, especially since someone else that you do not know is now in charge of it. I am not sure if you will get your deposit back, if you left one??? Unless you have some type of proof from him and you in place, like an invoice or receipt. But most likely if he doesn't readily offer up a refund you will have to take him to court to get it. Someone more in line with the law there might have more expertise in that department, but I would consider it a success if you at least get your trophy back!

Devin, I couldnt have said it better!

80whunt247 I know this is all talk and doesnt do you any good, however I would get your rack and cape(if you can) back and let someone else finish it. cut your losses.

You do have to give the guy credit for trying to do the right thing. The typical guy that goes out of business would just leave. time will tell

• Like 1