Sign in to follow this  
jeremiah lindsey

sonoita antelope ?

I don't think the mountain lion population in that area is high enough for game and fish to do an introduction...

• Like 9

The proposal looks good. I remember seeing antelope as a teenager down in the San Rafael valley, but latley it is hard to find one. The predator control part of the proposal needs to be a success before they begin the transplants. Those coyotes down there are smart, they don't come to calls like in other units. There has been a lot of predator calling down there and now those yotes are educated.

Saw this video a month or so ago, covers aspects of the predator control and plans for transplant.

Saw this video a month or so ago, covers aspects of the predator control and plans for transplant.

When I drove down in oct for my 35b hunt, I saw about a dozen antelope just east of the 83 just north of town. They were in the same spot whe. I drove by again the following Tuesday. But those have been the first ones in a long time! Used to see them all the time when I was a kid

The WM had mentioned that the fawn recruitment had been zero and they were worried that the genetics were depleted by too much inbreeding. The new stocking will really help and that aerial gunning the coyotes just before the fawn drop really helps.

60/40 split public to private land

90/36 split trapped to non-trapped coyote kills.

I know I'm stating the obvious but trapping is far more effective and I would imagine far cheaper.

Would be nice if they would use some common sense and just trap all the land.

• Like 3

/>60/40 split public to private land

I know I'm stating the obvious but trapping is far more effective and I would imagine far cheaper.

Trapping is more effective the aerial gunning?!? I don't believe that for a second.

You can’t aerial gun 24/7-365. Public/Private trapping is ridiculously cheaper than aerial gunning with wider-more complete coverage. Public/Private trapping costs the AZGFD and therefore you and me literally nothing whereas airtime is expensive.

It has been shown though that you would need to consistently remove an extremely high number of coyotes to make an impact (estimates of upwards of 70% of the population). This is due to higher fecundity following removal.

Remove coyotes/interspecies competition = more niche space-food, territory etc. for surviving population.

More resources for the surviving population = Higher healthier pup production and higher survivorship for the population.

Also, coyotes quickly immigrate to areas where territorial vacancies occur. Henke (1992) noted that coyote density returned to pre-removal levels in less than 3 months after the removal effort. This immigration is strengthened by lack of competition for resources

• Like 1

/> 60/40 split public to private land

Trapping is more effective the aerial gunning?!? I don't believe that for a second.

I didn't hear anything about aerial gunning in the video- - what was stated is they killed 10 coyotes in year one with rifle, 26 coyotes year too with same method(not stating exactly what the method was)for a total of 36. They then said an additional 90 were killed by trappers on private land. So a 2.5 to 1 kill ratio on much less ground - IF the 36 came from aerial methods then without a doubt trapping is more effective and way cheaper. If the 36 didn't come from using aerial methods I'd love to hear what they could achieve with aerial methods.

I realize the terrain is different down there, but my uncle used to be a gunner for the state trapper in SD. Their personal best day was 162 coyotes. I know it's incredibly effective but no doubt expensive.