Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Book Cliffs Utah

Anyone ever drew this tag or helped out on a mule deer hunt there? This year they have split the unit into north and south. Just wondering if one area is better?

Utah does not tell you how many tags will be allotted for each unit until after the draw, so I also trying to make a guess on which tag will be easier to draw. I was right on the edge of drawing a tag this year or next before the unit split.

Thanks

Last year 13 points got you in the bonus tag pool. I have 12 this year. Probably still on the outside but with the split you never know.

Have you considered the Henry's ? Or Pansagaunt? My cousin has guided the books for 20 yrs I can ask him.

I have a better chance of growing a third arm than drawing a Henry tag in my lifetime.

Last year there were 3 NR tags for Henry Mountain. There were 3714 applicants.

Hey DesertBull. I drew the Bookcliffs in 09. It is a migration hunt for sure. you can just about set your watch to the movement. It is always in Oct during the hunt. Most of the deer move to the north. You will see more deer than you can count. Lots of 130-160 class. There will be tons of locals hunting the roads. Whole families. I have some pics of the road traffic, unreal. 1 quad had 5 people on it, from the grandmother to an infant! lots of blaze orange. If you wait till after the first weekend they are usually all gone. The main road that runs from the top to bottom is like a highway. Hunt low on the north end. Great glassing and tons of deer everywhere. Once the deer start moving they are there fast! I am in the Kaibab every year on winter range and you will see as many if not more deer. Lots of big 3 points, and crabbed 4 points. I passed on a few 170 class and took this one. He was with a toad and when they busted out I took the wrong one. Oh well, shoot happens. Good luck on the draw. San Juan Elk ridge is also a good hunt. I drew that in 96 and took a 30" 4x5.

post-10954-47530_thumb.jpg

Book Cliffs Buck

post-10954-203327_thumb.jpg

When they split the unit they said they are going to reduce tags on the north and add tags to the south.