Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Girls and Hunting

After congratulation a young girl on her first pig it dawned on me how many comments I have heard over the years and especially lately that hunting camps and hunting is no place for girls. That just doesn't settle well with me and I was wondering why I still hear these stories today.

As I look back on my childhood I can't remember any girls hunting. I was brought up hunting at a very young age and not once did I ever hear my granddad or dad mention that girls weren't allowed to go hunting nor was it discussed. For example Thanksgiving was a day all the men and boys went rabbit hunting while the moms and daughters cooked and had our dinner waiting for us at the end of the day. Fishing was a different story. All the women in my family could hold their own when it came to catching fish.

I have a family member who believes hunting camps are no place for women or dogs. In the past 4yrs, helping on the Women's Javelina Hunting Camps, I hear from some of the women that they were never allowed to go hunting and some husbands still won't take them hunting today. Some say it's because their husband's friends don't think it's a place for women. WHAT?

Some of you may ask why is this even being discussed. To be quite honest I never gave it much thought before volunteering with hunting camps. The hard work I have seen from so many women in the field on projects and those who support and work their tails off in all of our hunting organizations goes without saying they don't get the respect from SOME men who think it's a man's sport.

Why is this still an issue or am I the only one still hearing these kind of stories?

TJ

• Like 1

I think it's great if girls want to take up hunting, and be a part of the camp experience. It's a great time, and experience ,for everyone, regardless of gender. I always invited my wife(ex) to go hunting or, just come to deer camp. It wasn't her thing. so I didn't press the issue. A person is into it, or not.

One of my favorite vacations was the summer outing in Greer. Taking the girls fishing is rewarding, even if they have the attention span of a 2 year old. :lol:

• Like 1

I am raising twin girl bear hunters!! Well, one is a bear fanatic already, while the other is leaning towards elk.

• Like 2

When I was growing up, the women in my family didn't hunt. I invited my daughter to hunt with me once she turned 10. She didn't take me up on the offer until she was 11. I didn't think she wanted to shoot a deer, but she quickly proved me wrong. Since that day, 23 years ago, she has gone on many hunts. I quickly learned that girls are a blast to hunt with! I even had fun this past December packing out a hindquarter of her late season bull up a steep hill in deep snow!

I have already bought a pink .22 for my 8 month old granddaughter. I can't wait to take her hunting. I may even invite her dad to come along!

• Like 2

I've been hunting for a little over 16 years and I have never heard anyone say something like that. Might be an "old school" thing? My daughter is the oldest of my three children and she was up to bat first as far as hunting. 11 years later, she works at Sportsmans and still hunts. Took a few yrs, but I was able to convince my wife Colleen to give it a try and now she's HOOKED!

Colleen and her Javi from last Saturday

post-754-0-33397100-1393102150_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have been hunting for over 30 years and have never heard that hunting is no place for girls. I have heard that " women and children are to be seen and not heard", but never anything about hunting. I have known a lot of female hunters over the last 30 years.

I've never heard that girls weren't allowed to hunt. I believe that a women's place is wherever in the heck wants to be! I have been on target shooting teams where the fairer sex shot circles around the men. My daughter and wife want nothing to do with hunting whatsoever. My daughter would never kill an animal and my wife thinks Motel 6 is roughing it! I wish I could change their minds but it isn't going to happen. I take my daughter camping and fishing a couple times every summer and we have a ball! Maybe one day they'll want to come along and they will ALWAYS be welcome but for now I will just take them shooting and fishing.

I must have gone wrong somewhere along the way since my son isn't into hunting either. He gave it a go taking hunter safety and going on deer hunt. It was nice having him there and my Dad to help show him the ropes but no Bueno on another try.

I wouldn't say that to my family!!! The girls are better shots with the guns. Maybe because us guys always have the bow in our hands. That talk has never been tolerated in our houses. My mom was pregnant with me when she took her last buck! After that She just went and enjoyed the outdoors.

I have heard that but, it was a while back. Back when I was living in Wisconsin a lot of the husbands would not bring their wife's. Opening weekend for deer was considered the guys weekend out. A lot(not all) would hunt all day and then spend the night at the local bar till close and then get up at 5:00am to go hunting. My mother, sisters and my wife never had an interest in hunting so that is not an issue for me

I've seen more women hunting now more than ever and I think it's great

Some guys use a hunting trip to get away from the wives and kids ;) ......I get that. but if your family is interested in going, take em along. At least once in awhile.

You never know how long we will be around to do it.

• Like 1

Since I was a kid there was always a non spoken agreement. If we're going out to hunt, fish, shoot, cut wood, or whatever!! No one was ever formally "invited" they had the choice to go or stay. Not once was there any talk about opposite sexes being able to go or stay, it's always been their choice. 9 times out of ten the women are ready to go before the men and they have the sense to bring food and toilet paper haha!! Not to mention my mother, wife, and sister out shoot dang near anyone I know including me!

My great Aunt who is getting close to her 70's helped mentor me in hunting when I first started! She is shy a mountain lion from having her big 10 or is it 11 now. In her day she out hunted most of the men in our family!

When I was growing up the girls rarely hunted with us but could if they wanted but in our there where not aloud to cook or anything to do with the kitchen. I love that my wife hunts with me I just tell my buddy (the one other then her) I like looking at her beautiful face the first thing in the morning not his ugly a$$ face he understands

• Like 2

My oldest daughter is one of my best hunting companions! My wife has quite a few muleys under her belt as well. Some of the best hunts I've had have been with them. Never heard that women don't belong in hunting or camp. I know some of the language and stories change when they are present but that's probably a good thing!

• Like 1