Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Girls and Hunting

I think my stance on women/girls hunting is pretty well known....if not....here is a hint. Plus, I only have girls, so taking a son hunting is kind of out of the question. My son-in-law has gone dove hunting with me a couple times, but no big game yet.

022_zps2af843ef.jpg

20141130_103233_zpsvqnk7zb1.jpg

I wish I could get my wife to hunt, I am still working on her. She goes up as often as she can with us. My older daughter, now 23 so no digital photos back in the day 11 years ago, used to hunt when she was younger, with a deer, elk, and archery sheep under her belt.

• Like 5

Many of the heads in our trophy room were mom's.

She grew up on a farm in western PA during the depression. She's one tough bird. As a kid, had to get up before dawn and start fires under the water line that brought spring water to the house.

Now in her 80s, she still maintains a 160 bowling avg.

• Like 4

I was left behind a lot as a kid while my brother got to go with my dad small game hunting. I was left behind when my dad took my brother on back country horseback trips. Get the picture here....

Fast forward to about age 30 when I'm re-introduced to hunting. Add another 6 or so years before I'd pick up a gun to hunt and another year for a bow.

I was a kid who didn't want to be left home. I ended up becoming a non-hunter (actually almost an anti-hunter) and just about a vegetarian.

It's possible I could've been a hunter my whole life, but because I was born without testicles I was left behind.

I'd like to see someone tell me I'm not welcome in camp because it's "guys only." New hunters, women, and kids can all teach you something if you are listening.

Wow this is so sad, i have 3 girls and a son i would never leave anyone out, your pops sounds like mine, but he did take me deer hunting when i was 10 an hour before daylight in a spot i never had been in we got there at dark an hour before daylight he said boy which way you wanna go i pointed to what i thought was the west he said be back around noon.

I think my stance on women/girls hunting is pretty well known....if not....here is a hint. Plus, I only have girls, so taking a son hunting is kind of out of the question. My son-in-law has gone dove hunting with me a couple times, but no big game yet.

022_zps2af843ef.jpg

20141130_103233_zpsvqnk7zb1.jpg

I wish I could get my wife to hunt, I am still working on her. She goes up as often as she can with us. My older daughter, now 23 so no digital photos back in the day 11 years ago, used to hunt when she was younger, with a deer, elk, and archery sheep under her belt.

That's awesome you and your daughter can experiance this together.

I think my stance on women/girls hunting is pretty well known....if not....here is a hint. Plus, I only have girls, so taking a son hunting is kind of out of the question. My son-in-law has gone dove hunting with me a couple times, but no big game yet.022_zps2af843ef.jpg20141130_103233_zpsvqnk7zb1.jpgI wish I could get my wife to hunt, I am still working on her. She goes up as often as she can with us. My older daughter, now 23 so no digital photos back in the day 11 years ago, used to hunt when she was younger, with a deer, elk, and archery sheep under her belt.

I vote the pic of the javalina for the cover of the g+f 2016 spring regs. My vote doesnt count, so oh well. :)

• Like 2

I was left behind a lot as a kid while my brother got to go with my dad small game hunting. I was left behind when my dad took my brother on back country horseback trips. Get the picture here....

Fast forward to about age 30 when I'm re-introduced to hunting. Add another 6 or so years before I'd pick up a gun to hunt and another year for a bow.

I was a kid who didn't want to be left home. I ended up becoming a non-hunter (actually almost an anti-hunter) and just about a vegetarian.

It's possible I could've been a hunter my whole life, but because I was born without testicles I was left behind.

I'd like to see someone tell me I'm not welcome in camp because it's "guys only." New hunters, women, and kids can all teach you something if you are listening.

Wow this is so sad, i have 3 girls and a son i would never leave anyone out, your pops sounds like mine, but he did take me deer hunting when i was 10 an hour before daylight in a spot i never had been in we got there at dark an hour before daylight he said boy which way you wanna go i pointed to what i thought was the west he said be back around noon.

Don't get me wrong. I love my father and my brother to no end. I am simply stating a fact of how I grew up. The boy was favored over the girls by my dad. I'm exactly where I want to be and I've managed to find my balance somewhere in the middle.

I believe my parents gave me the greatest gift by exposing me to the outdoors since my first camping trip when I was 3 weeks old. I've passed this gift onto my 3 children who were all camping within their first few months of life.

It just irks me a tad that people still feel this way about girls. ughh!

This is a great topic. When I was growing up my sister never went hunting. I don't know if it was because she did not want to or if she was not invited. My mom would go camping and fishing but never hunting until it was long after I moved out. She would go and camp but never go out with me or my dad. I have invited my wife numerous times but she always responds " I am afraid of wounding an animal". Now my wife has more handguns than I do and carries concealed more than I do. So it is her choice and I hope she will change her mind sometime.

Now my girls are a different story. I never went spring turkey hunting until my older daughter passed hunters ed. and told me she wanted to go turkey hunting. So I got her a 20 gauge and we went turkey hunting every spring for the past four years. That is our thing and hunting with the muzzle loaders for deer and elk. She is mad her younger sister is getting ready to pass hunters ed. and go turkey hunting with us. There is four years difference between the two.

My younger daughter tells me she wants to go archery elk with me and muzzle loader deer. She got a 20 gauge as well for her birthday in Oct. and this last Christmas I got her a bow. We are practicing and increasing draw weight so she can put in for an elk tag with me in 2016.

I am glad they both like hunting and am sure glad more women seem to be entering the sport.

I have a little girl on the way and I just pray she loves the outdoors and hunting as much as I do.