RAC

Fishing (San DIego)

I was looking at booking a fishing trip this summer out of San Diego.

I was looking for any recommendations on boats or companies? And when are the best months to book go fishing?

Thanks Roy C

I booked capt. James Nelson last October because I wanted to take my kids out and not have to fight 50-60 people on a big boat. We just fished San Diego bay but he goes outside of the bay as well. We had fun caught fish and it was a personable experience. He can take four people I think.

http://www.fishingguidesandiego.com

RAC

Depending what you want to do (long range or day trips) I can recommend the Vagabond out of Diego. Great boat and a great skipper. I've also fished the Condor which was good, also a very "fishy" boat. These boats do long range only pretty much ( overnight to 10 days+ kind of trips).

As for the half-day type boats they are all pretty much the same, more crowded on the weekends/holidays.

I have only done it 1 time, but my friends with lots of experience say that most of the boats out of Diego on multi-day trips are excellent. It is a very competitive business and they all need happy customers to suceed. I was going to go on an 8 day trip in June but we cancelled due to my fishing buddy needing shoulder surgery. Good luck, let us know how you do.

• Like 1

i have been chasing tuna and yellowtail out of 'dego for 35 years and a lot has changed. always try to find a trip that works for you-1/2 day to 3 days-at Seaforth Sportfishing on mission bay. during the summer parking(and parking fees) are a nightmare at the big three landings on shelter island but it's free and easy at seaforth. call mark larsen at seaforth 619-224-3383 for the hot rides.

http://www.seaforthlanding.com/

now that being typed-my all-time favorite boat hands down to fish out of 'dego during the summer is the f/v first string at H&M landing.

http://firststringfishing.com/index.htm

post-253-0-48862500-1395964664_thumb.jpg

also info at 976tuna.com and bloodydecks.com

just a note-the Malihini is a converted WWII PT Boat just like McHale's Navy!

good luck,

lee

post-253-0-55963000-1395965160_thumb.jpg

the pic below is a great memory. With many, many tons of yellowfin stacked up under the boat trying to bite-but all 30 fishermen-well all but one!-don't want to pull on another 40 lb tuna after a 6 hour bite.

post-253-0-80122900-1395966494_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-60945700-1395966519_thumb.jpg

I always use H & M Landing. always fun and on return hit Miguel's mexican food just accross street you will be hooked as i have been since boot camp 93. Calamari steak relleno w/jalapeno crem chz sauce.. SUPERB!

• Like 5

hoghntr after a big lake trip and a guayos on the deuce feast we'll have to do a tuna day and miguels seafood slug. but. i have always favored santana's across from the docks on rosecrans or point loma seafoods. i'm flexible though...

lee

/>hoghntr after a big lake trip and a guayos on the deuce feast we'll have to do a tuna day and miguels seafood slug. but. i have always favored santana's across from the docks on rosecrans or point loma seafoods. i'm flexible though...

lee

Hmm i will have to check it out can't recall those. i just know i will be gettin some calamari steak relleno very soon! so are these pics from now? which boat etc.. i may be wanting a day on water in few weeks.

vintage first string photos-2005.

yellows are chewing at the coronado's and buzz brizendine takes the tuna spotter plane up may 1st.

lee

i received my 'tuna junk mail' from H & M Landing saturday. its a half-inch thick envelope of individual boat open party schedules and H & M's 2014 brochure with all the motivational color pics!

you can get one too by simply calling 619-222-1144 and asking for one to be sent to you free of charge lol ! with el nino running strong this can be a good resource for finding weekday trips with light loads. the 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 day trips dock up at daylight giving you time to make the run across the desert well rested.

lee

ps thats a phone number i've had memorized since 1985 or so....

• Like 1

Roy - so---any luck? burnt some gas? butchered any tuna or forkies? time to book the next 1.5 or 2 day and git bloody methinks!

lee

Man all this talk n my wife keep saying she wants to go to cali might have to see if I can't talk the wife in getting on one of these boats.