108 members have voted

1. 1. Which caliber is better overall?

• 7mm

I have read a plethora of reading stating that the .308 is a fantastic all-around caliber for hunting all kinds of game and long range shooting. Recently, an acquaintance of mine that also happens to be a licensed hunt guide, mentioned that he would recommend I purchase a 7mm as opposed to the .308 for an all-around long range rifle. He states that it shoots flatter, has more kinetic energy at longer ranges, and is much faster.

Can you coues folks help me determine which caliber is truly superior if I'm looking for a well rounded rifle that can handle long ranges and still be effective? Are the benefits he mentioned actually true, and are they actually benefits?

I want something that's going to be able to hunt anything in North America aside from varmit, but I don't want a rifle that is going to be overkill.

Either caliber is capable of taking anything in north america. I studied the pros and cons of both for quite some time before purchasing a 7mm mag.

For what i wanted, the 7mm came out on top. If i were to shoot the 300 mag, i would use 200 gn or higher bullets. That is where the 300 mag really shines IMO...

I think it really depends on how and what you hunt and the exact cartridges you are comparing. That being said I love my 7mm's!

Both have extremely high quality bullets to choose from. Both have high and low recoil options... pretty much a wash in my opinion

• Like 1

With the question being that generic I would have to agree with firstcoues. Both have some great choices.

Imo the .270 is a better choice but it will shot with the 7mm out to 700 yard's

/>Imo the .270 is a better choice but it will shot with the 7mm out to 700 yard's

What???

• Like 2

The energy is almost pound for pound with the 7mm. I can't justify the extra weight and recoil

• Like 1

I grew up shooting a 270 maybe a little less recoil not sure about less weight. Remember you can load a 7mm down but you can't load the 270 up to match it. The other huge advantage is the 7mm and .308 probably have more bullets available than any other calibers you can find. For the record I think the 270 WSM is a really great cartridge. I am building a 6.5 right now which you could also make the same arguments for in 140gr bullet.

• Like 1

Both are great. Both have advantages over the other. Neither blow the other out of the water and neither are superior in every category.

• Like 1

/>

Both are great. Both have advantages over the other. Neither blow the other out of the water and neither are superior in every category.

Couldn't agree more with that, and thats coming from 308 nut! I'm building a 7 RUM right now. Smoking round but pay for it in barrel life. The 7 mag is awesome ballistically but the .308 is right there to. There's a reason snipers still shoot .308. Depends on your application and what is expected. Long distance for hunting I would lean towards the 7mm mag just my opinion.

• Like 1

The energy is almost pound for pound with the 7mm. I can't justify the extra weight and recoil

you must be referring to .270WSM.

• Like 1

you must be referring to .270WSM.[/quote

No a 270 win. This is what I get with my loads

270 130 gr sst drop

100 yds 2101 ft lbs 0"

500 yds 1127 ft lbs -50.3"

700 yds 800 ft lbs -124.5"

7mm rem mag 139 gr sst

100 yds 2265 ft lbs drop 0"

500 yds 1260 ft lbs -49.3

700 yds 913 ft lbs -121

So if this is a big difference the deer will never know. But with the recoil and extra weight and cost of ammo not that much difference for me

/>To me it looks like .308 is a ways off.
Yup. It's way off.

Question: Do you know why anybody would shoot 150 grain offerings in a 308?

Answer: To make a 7mm or 270 look good.

• Like 5