Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Broad heads for elk, 2014

What will everyone be using? For me it will be between slick trick magnums, shuttle t's and shwackers.... I'm leaning towards fixed blade.

• Like 3

G5 striker did the job for me last year. Passed through and buried into the ground at the base of a stump. This was at 53 yards out of a 60 lb bow. I can switch between broad head and field point with no difference in flight.

Any fixed blade that shoots out of your bow well. G5, Muzzy, ShuttleT's, and my choice Thunderheads. Elk are tough critters so shoot the 125 grains.

IMO I know some hunters that swear by expandables, and they do a great job, but the big boys like Elk are better with a fixed blade.

PS ever see a hunting show on TV where a expandable had a complete pass thru ?

I have harvested my last two bulls with g5 montec. That being said I would give a very close look at the new Gravediggers! Best of both worlds. My .02

Whitey

<<<<------------------- Wac'em Tritons

• Like 2

Killed mine with a swhacker two years ago, nap hellrazor two years before that. This year think I am going with shuttle t's (possibly slick tricks). The swhacker worked great on the elk i killed but I did have one time where the blades opened while stalking with an arrow nocked and had to switch arrows, arrow caught a small limb. The little yellow band is pretty sensitive to breaking. For spot and stalk I have to say go with a fixed blade.

/>

But also all those shows are hopped up on how fast they can shoot so they probably use light arrows. Ya gotta have weight behind an expandable! I'll probably go with slick trick mags or qad exodus with a 400-425 gr Axis pushing it. Seriously considering using some of my NAP killzones, but I'll probably save those for turkey and deer season.

/>

Any fixed blade that shoots out of your bow well. G5, Muzzy, ShuttleT's, and my choice Thunderheads. Elk are tough critters so shoot the 125 grains.

IMO I know some hunters that swear by expandables, and they do a great job, but the big boys like Elk are better with a fixed blade.

I never see a pass thru! and these shots are from superfast bow at like 15 yards on a deer! How are they not getting pass thrus? Most look like they're getting like 8" of penetration. I zipped an arrow right thru my bull quartering away at 26 yards and it stuck in the ground 6". BTW, I was using a 1996 Jennings bow that was launching them at like 250 fps.

The new wasp drone has caught my attention just because I think wasp makes a great product and they come with free replacement blades. All the slick trick heads are always something I consider. I really wanna try the viper tricks. The new muzzy trocars are impressive looking too. So many options! I'd love to try the gravediggers. They look like they would do some damage but I just can't spend $40 for three when slick tricks are still under $30 for three. I'll probably be shooting the wasp drones just because I've never killed anything with a wasp head.

Grave diggers made short work of 2 bulls in camp last year.