Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Govt. hunter

i talked briefly with a guy yesterday when we were in our elk area looking for sheds. The range cows all have little calves right now so I'm guessing he takes care of the coyotes who try to prey on them. Anybody know anyone who has this job? I wish I could have talked more with him. Would like to know how many kills they get a year.

I have a friend that does this, he kills a lot of coyotes! I have been out with him at night and it was a blast. Not sure the total amount but I remember the hole they dug he threw all of his kills in. He asked me how many I thought were in there, so I counted at least 25. He chuckled at me and said think of all the ones below that. I'm sure he and a few hundred in there.

I hope there is a hands-off policy on bear and lion to leave them for the sportsmen, unless a "known" cattle killer is around. Anyone remember the old picture of the lion heads stacked on top of each other from government hunters about 20 years ago from unit 31 or 32?

/>I know one, He hunts everything, from coyotes to birds.

I have heard that they have shot pigeons from the bridge at Tempe town lake for pigeon control at night with air guns.

Also been to Yellow Stone national park taking out elk because they have been out of control. They had to pack out guts and everything to leave no trace.

They basically do most of AZGF dirty work taking out problem animals. My buddy was called down to Green Valley to take out coyotes that bit people because they were feeding them. Of course AZGF will take all the credit for it, and won't hear nothing from the USDA government trappers. Don't get me wrong that AZGF does do a little of damage control, but most of it is done through the Gov trappers. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this just what I have heard.

This was on BLM land where I talked to him. But little calves were on both Natl forest and BLM. This was in 7. Must be a cool job! My son just told me about a guy who shot coyotes off golf courses in town at night with a suppressed rifle.

supressors are used often by the guy I know. He has no rules. He shoots from the truck, next to houses, protected animals, animals out of season.

• Like 1

Assume this was 7E? 7W is mostly Kaibab NF. But no doubt the same coyote pop.

These guys are kind of the "black ops" for land management/conservation/multiple use agencies (except maybe the NPS). Used to be known as Animal Damage Control in the old days, then they became Wildlife Services, which apparently was considered a more PC euphemism. They generally keep a low profile. Depending on their budget, they sometimes show up in town to do some coyote reduction where the little old ladies claim Fifi or Fluffy was charged by a poodle-eating coyote.

forepaw

• Like 1

I hope there is a hands-off policy on bear and lion to leave them for the sportsmen, unless a "known" cattle killer is around. Anyone remember the old picture of the lion heads stacked on top of each other from government hunters about 20 years ago from unit 31 or 32?

post-8974-0-28173100-1398046695_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

520hunt any details on all those cats? They come out of 31/32 or both?

met a guy about 5 yrs back up on an elk hunt at east sunset mountian, he was hunting lion at night with a surpressor for lion, he worked for the dept of agraculture as a contractor, said he got $5000.00 per lion no limit

Many years G&F will accept bids for trappers or hunters to go into an area and clean out the coyotes. I know a trapper who won a bid at 6k/month to take coyotes out of antelope country. After a month he was not getting enough and they let him go. I was contacted 2 years ago by A&G to put in a bid for hunting coyotes down in Southern AZ in antelope country. The requirements on paper are not very flexible. Check in every day or 2 with proof of kills. I wanted to go down on just the weekends and do it with a few other guys filling in weekdays. In the end, we couldn't get schedules right and I had to bow out. There is good money to be made if you don't have a job and can prove you can put fur on the ground.

The putting a lot of fur on the ground is the part more recreational predator callers can't do.