Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

2014 Women's Javelina Camp a great success!

I know I have been tardy in posting this, but I finally got a moment to write up something about the hunt.

The 2014 Women’s Javelina camp held in February was a great success! We had women of all ages come and join us to learn how to hunt. As most of you know, the whole point of this camp is to recruit women into the hunting community by creating a safe environment where women can learn to hunt. We try to pair up each student with an experienced mentor and let me tell you, we have some very highly skilled mentors that assist with this camp! We couldn’t have such a successful camp without our mentors generously giving of their time and talents.

This year we had 28 students (3 of which didn’t have tags, but just wanted to come see what hunting was about) and about 25 mentors, plus cooks and other helpers. So all in all we had about 70 people at camp. Four ladies harvested javelina and several others had shot opportunities. Some of the ladies also harvested some jackrabbits and their mentors taught them how to field dress their quarry.

We had unseasonably warm weather which made it hard at times to find javelina. But the ladies and their mentors stuck with it and we still had success! We also had a full moon during the camp and that made for beautiful nights around the campfire.

This camp wouldn’t be possible without the hard work and monetary resources of many people and organizations. The camp is primarily funded by a grant from the AGFD as part of their continuing effort at hunter recruitment and retention. AZ Safari CIub International provides all the equipment necessary for cooking meals along with tables, chairs, and canopies! AZ SCI also arranged for the portojohns for the camp, thank you Bobby! Team Younggunz provided excellent mentors, great knowledge of the hunt units, extra tables, chairs and coolers for water. The southern AZ chapter of the NWTF helped by providing mentors as well as some very nice camo backpacks for the ladies, along with hunting information and coupons for hunting gear! CouesWhitetail.com donates money for the camp as well as coordinating the entire event. And many of our mentors are longtime CouesWhitetail.com members! Eileen Cooper, one of our students, provided extra firewood as well as homemade apple dump cake.

Roger and Ilene, Peg and TJ and Mike Anderson slaved away in the kitchen providing great food for our attendees! Mike Miller of Miller’s Southwest Processing (a sponsor here on CouesWhitetail.com) donated smoked pork/beef, hamburgers and breakfast sausage! Kathy Greene of Arizona Outdoor Women helped us with shopping and managed to get discounts on food and donations through the restaurant where she works (KG’s restaurant located East of I-10 on Grant Road). Ilene and Roger also spent countless hours planning and shopping for this event.

In addition Mike Christensen of Pass it On Outdoor Mentors helped us secure insurance for the camp at about a third the rate it normally costs us by allowing onto his policy.

With all the savings on food, insurance and portojohns, we will be able to return money back to AGFD to be used for another event! And the left-over food we had from our camp went to support a youth hunt put on by the AZ SCI Chapter the weekend after our hunt! Thanks to everyone who helped make that possible!

Many thanks to the following mentors that helped at this camp! AGFD Commissioner JW Harris joined us at the camp and was also a mentor. I appreciated that he came out to see firsthand how important these camps are to the adult ladies that want to learn to hunt.

Gerald Perry

Mark Kuhn

Kelly Neal

Tracy Hardy

Carl Young + 4 guys (Nash, Bryce, Derrick and Dale)

Jack Wheat

Deb Wesch

Tracey and Angie

Kathy Greene and Don Greene

Linda Dightmon

Michelle Crabb

JW Harris

John Dollar

Chris and Kori mosley

Mike Knudsen

Tom Joiner

Mike Pierce

Leroy

Ted Simpson

Amanda

post-1-0-41888700-1398108787_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-24339000-1398108789_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-39206100-1398108792_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-54658800-1398108797_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-37224400-1398108803_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-84798200-1398108806_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-71485100-1398108888_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-50945500-1398108898_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-84426000-1398108902_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-94508600-1398108905_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-47208700-1398108908_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-87483000-1398108912_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-88150800-1398109033_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-67894600-1398109036_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-78273600-1398109039_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

And since the hunt was over Valentines day we had some very special food that night and the ladies and mentors found several heart-shaped items during the hunt. Here is Carl with several he found.

And the ladies also enjoyed seeing other wildlife and beautiful scenery during the hunt.

post-1-0-38468500-1398109241_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-41688700-1398109245_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48671200-1398109282_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-14508400-1398109368_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-35545000-1398109395_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62913500-1398109448_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48490900-1398109498_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68920000-1398109504_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48104800-1398109509_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mark Kuhn better not have taken any of the ladies into my spot! JK! I caught him and Jerry Perry in my spot last year when I had the same tag!

That's an awesome camp you provide for the women Amanda. Looks like a lot of fun too. Kudos to you and all the mentors and volunteers. Hope to join up one of these times.

Women's Javelina Hunt 2014...Absolutely a grand adventure for me. The challenge of the hunt... the scenery.... my mentor, Jack Wheat.... the 5 star meals and snacks served graciously by Roger, Ilene, Peg, TJ and Mike... The camo backpack filled with goodies. Amanda's dedication to make this a first class hunt and the list goes on and on. So excited to see so many women enjoying themselves and stepping out of the box. It was disappointing not to bag a javelina, but I was so excited for those that did. Since harvesting a javelina is definitely on my bucket list. You will see me back again next year. :) the other -eileen.

• Like 4

Women's Javelina Hunt 2014...Absolutely a grand adventure for me. The challenge of the hunt... the scenery.... my mentor, Jack Wheat.... the 5 star meals and snacks served graciously by Roger, Ilene, Peg, TJ and Mike... The camo backpack filled with goodies. Amanda's dedication to make this a first class hunt and the list goes on and on. So excited to see so many women enjoying themselves and stepping out of the box. It was disappointing not to bag a javelina, but I was so excited for those that did. Since harvesting a javelina is definitely on my bucket list. You will see me back again next year. :) the other -eileen.

Welcome to the site Mountain Mama. It was a pleasure meeting you and Neal. I'm glad you both had a great time and hopefully next year you won't have to move camp as often. lol Peg said to say hello and give our best to Neal. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Eileen! So great to hear from you. It was a real pleasure meeting you and Neal. You guys were fun and ever so helpful! Oh and that cowboy candy was amazing! Thanks for the gift!

• Like 1

Was bummed to miss it, hope to be there next year and since I have all my classes done for the next 2 years my calendar will be open.

• Like 3

Looks like another GREAT success!! Awesome!

Sorry I couldn't be there this year, but will try again next year for sure!

Thanks for sharing the pics and write-up.

S.

:)

• Like 1

The two women I helped mentor didn't get a javelina but both left camp as hunters with jackrabbits! What fun!

• Like 1

Wow... great fun....

Bo wants to thank Peg for making her a "camp dogette".. she loved it and is grateful for being included. Ilene/Roger We hope the Baby Bo is doing well.

Moving isn't a problem TJ... that's why trailers have wheels - tee-hee.

You betcha.. I'll be signed up for next year. We didn't make the AZ Elk draw... So Ilene/Roger you won't get a call from us. We're headed back to Michigan...for the summer. On our return we are going to meet up with my son in TX and hopefully go PIG hunting near Houston. We definitely will be back in time for the JAVE Hunt with you next spring. We really want to do it again, and again, and again. And when I can't climb the hills, well, I'll just fill in as "camp help".. how's that?

Mountain Mama - - - :)

• Like 2

That's pretty awesome guys ! CMC just might have to come and help out next. Congrats to all

Cole

• Like 2

I have a young lady that I am getting into hunting, she has a strong desire to learn. We took her last Saturday on the last weekend of the Turkey hunt and she got to hear a Turkey gobble for the first time, she also saw deer, elk and a bobcat. That really got her going. Getting her to take her hunter education class right now. We will committ to this hunt camp next year and bring her along. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1