New to muzzleloader hunting. I'm shooting a 50 cal CVA Accura II and have been using the Powerbelt Platinum 270 grain bullets. Using 3 50gr pellets of whitehots. For those who have hunted coues with a muzzleloader, is this a good combo? What have you been using? I guess it could go without saying, but isn't this going to blow the heck out of a coues deer? Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

I've never used over 100 gr and stick to 295 powerbelts- some times I use the round balls as they actually fly flatter and faster but do not do well in fast twist barrels

we use this setup on piggys and it general punches a big hole thru them

there are numerous loads available

if the set-up you use is accurate do not change it.

150 grains of anything kicks like a mule and some get a little gun shy and jerk

heres a ballistic chart that may help you decide

w

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/Ballistics.php

100 grains of Triple 7 and a 250 SST sabot out of a TC Encore

this has ruined numerous pigs' days and we tested it on a coyote and there was chunks of lungs all over the ground where he was standing, and of course he dropped right away...

this load is good to 230.....easy.....

I havn't had the chance to try these out on a Coues yet...but they work well on mule deer, elk, antelope & javalina. the load for my encore took the bull in my avatar @ 206 yrds

Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter 50 cal

110 grns of Black Horn 209

Barnes 250 grn T-EZ

loads avg 1988 fps

Ultimate (Johnston) 50 cal Muzzleloader

180 grns of triple 7 magnums (3 pellets)

Parker Ballistic Extreme 300 grn

loads avg 2323 fps

good luck on your hunt!

New to muzzleloader hunting. I'm shooting a 50 cal CVA Accura II and have been using the Powerbelt Platinum 270 grain bullets. Using 3 50gr pellets of whitehots. For those who have hunted coues with a muzzleloader, is this a good combo.

The problem with powerbelts is people try to push them too fast with poor results, they fail miserbly.

I use the 250 grain Barnes MZ's in front of 150 grains of pyro and a cci #209 primer, I get velocities around 2075 fps and use this combo in conjunction with a leupold vx3 3.5x10 scope with the cds system.

extremely lethal and tested out to 300 yds.

post-958-0-60157400-1399262714_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-41832000-1399262836_thumb.jpg

I have an old CVA Firebolt Magnum and this is what has been the best ever. For everything. The guy who makes these bullets told me that a bullet has to be at least twice as long as it's diameter to be accurate. Makes good sense. A .177 pellet is much more accurate than a .177 BB.

Why worry about overkill? People are shooting 100 pound coues deer with 338 Norma mags and such.

Check out their website.

2013 on his feet for maybe 5 seconds.

post-958-0-81448800-1399263732_thumb.jpg

I quit using the Powerbelts, they fly well, but fragment, and I was not over impressed with their penetration. I switched to the Barnes TSX, specifically the SST which are an EZ load. 250 grains with 100 grainss of Triple 7 powder has done in antelope, elk, black bear, javelina , eastern whitetail, and hopefully this fall another BIG antelope. The bullets expand and retain almost 100% of their weight, giving them great penetration. They group fantastically out of my Knight, several friends CVA's and anothers TC. The best bet is to play with arond with it, my gun groups better with the 100 grains than 150, and my shoulder likes it a whole lot better as well.