jdub

My amazing hunt - BIG buck - unit 23

So I called one of my closest friends, Mike Coover. He works at my office and he had hunted with the Arizona Ground Pounders for both lion and bear. He told me how great they were and that he would have no hesitation in sending me and the kids out with them. I called Waylon Pettet and Cash Armstrong from the Pounders and came to a fair price for the two junior hunters. (more shortly).

• Like 3

Fast Forward to December.....

We showed up in Payson and the whole Pounders crew was waiting for us: Cash, Waylon, Levi, Steel and a crew of other awesome guys. These guys were serious, they told me that they already had located bucks in numerous locations in prior weeks and they were ready to rock!

Their gear was solid, only the best. Polaris Rangers, amazing optics and completely dialed-in rifles. Pinpoint accurate, matched custom ammo. Amazing. We had some really tough weather. Rain, sleet, snow....brutal for these young city girls. The Pounders helped keep them as comfortable as possible. I'm proud of my girls for how they handled themselves. They weren't about to quit.

The guys located a shooter on the 2nd day and got Samantha into position. It was still legal shooting light but there was no way for us to get any closer. We all talked and Samantha said she was feeling calm and wanted to take the shot. She missed, inches over his back. No worries, we knew there would be more opportunities. The Pounders had done their job, they had positioned us for an opportunity, she simply missed.

post-3515-0-08012400-1402085944_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

We had 8 guides at this point scouring the unit. These guys were all amazing glassers so I knew it was only a matter of time until we got another opportunity. The next day the guys found another buck in a far off location. We got over there as fast as possible but the buck had pushed a doe over the saddle before we got there and we weren't able to locate him the rest of the day. Steel said that he was a monster. I knew we were coming back the next day to try to find him.

post-3515-0-04277800-1402086431.jpg

• Like 1

We got into position day 4 at 0'dark-30. The sun came up and Cash spotted the buck running down the hill full speed pushing a doe. He was Big....really Big. We were about 1,500 yards away and the buck was substantially uphill. The plan was for Levi and Cash to go up the hill with Sarah, button-hook around and get a 300 yard shot. Their packs were 80lbs+. They also had optics and a rifle. Sarah carried nothing. All of the pounders are country-strong, seriously. We stayed low and glassed the buck. Sarah and the guys were 1/2 hour into their hike when we saw one of the does disappear over the mountain. My heart sank, the buck was moving after her and I was worried he was going over too. He followed her, my guess was that he was 800 yards now from where the guys were going to set Sarah up for the shot. Brutal. But then he turned back and came after the other doe, we were lucky, she must've been the hot one. He moved right towards Sarah and just stood there feeding. He looked like he was a thousand yards from her. It turned out he was 540 yards.

• Like 1

Glassing from below we were watching the buck for what seemed like forever. There was some wind moving up the canyon, I wasn't real happy about that. Then all of a sudden....boom! Everyone got on their optics....the deer was still standing. Boom! Still standing, no movement. Then he disappeared behind a bush. Although out of view from us, he moved into a great position for Sarah. Boom! Big Buck Down! Everyone shook hands and congratulated one another. As I was getting my pack ready to climb up to the deer I looked through my swaro's to locate him again. The Pounders were already on him. Sarah tagged him and Cash threw the whole deer over his shoulders and carried him down. Did I mention that these guys are tough?

Anyway, the gnarly buck scored 115 6/8....kickers...lot's of character. The shot was 540 yards!

We got out again with the girls after Christmas but she was unable to make a last-ditch shot. Once again though, the Pounders put us in a spot to kill a deer. Boy, did they do their jobs again!!

I write this for 2 reasons:

Reason 1: To thank the Ground Pounders. I told them at the beginning of the hunt that my goal was to get the girls to experience the hunt in a way that would make them want to come back regardless of killing a buck or not. Mission accomplished.

Reason 2: To give a great option to those of you who do not have the time or ability to get this hunt done on your own. If you want a chance at a really big buck or if you want to give your kids an amazing and safe experience you need to hunt with these guys.

Often times in life you get referred to someone and it works out poorly. That's not the case with these guys. Do yourself a favor, if you have the means, call these guys for deer, elk, lion or bear. You won't be disappointed. I'm putting in for 23 and hoping to get drawn so I can use them again. See them at http://azgp.blogspot.com/

Also, I never told them I was going to write this. I just wanted to say thanks and give someone else a shot at a monster Coues buck.

Jeff

• Like 12

Just after the shot...dead on the hillside.

post-3515-0-84103500-1402087986_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Taxidermy by Clay Goldman at Mogollon Taxidermy.

• Like 3

Great write up. I'm sure your daughter will cherish the trip for the rest of her life.

Oh man! Great write up and awesome story. Hooked from the moment I started reading it. Congrats to you and your daughter on a fantastic hunt and a bomber deer

Awesome story, my two girls are chomping at the bit to hunt, few more years. Congrats!

Awesome story along with a great buck. Congrats to your daughter.

• Like 1