Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Buffalo Hunting in Grand Canyon National Park

McCain is pushing legislation to allow hunters to take buffalo in the Grand Canyon National Park (which is currently closed to hunting like all national parks are).

CW member Lance Crowther is quoted in the article....go Lance!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/14/sen-mccain-pushes-plan-to-manage-grand-canyon-bison/

• Like 4

McCain is pushing legislation to allow hunters to take buffalo in the Grand Canyon National Park (which is currently closed to hunting like all national parks are).

CW member Lance Crowther is quoted in the article....go Lance!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/14/sen-mccain-pushes-plan-to-manage-grand-canyon-bison/

I love the hypocrisy of this statement in the article for the sierra club. Last time I checked McCain was a public elected official representing the best interest of the US and in particular the residents of Arizona.

"The Arizona Game and Fish Commission voted Friday to support the amendment. Meanwhile, the Sierra Club criticized McCain for interfering in a public process."

The Sierra Club in Arizona are basically animal rights activists extremists, so far removed from their organization's original intents its not even funny. I take everything they say with a big ol truckload of salt!

That being said there is no way the Senate will pass this. If they do I will be shocked!

It's just an amendment to a Sportsmans bill those bills usually pass, especially in an election year. After it passes Harry Reid will call McCain a buffalo hater and all will be good.

• Like 1

The Sierra Club in Arizona are basically animal rights activists extremists, so far removed from their organization's original intents its not even funny. I take everything they say with a big ol truckload of salt!

That being said there is no way the Senate will pass this. If they do I will be shocked!

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more. Within the last few years that I've been paying attention at least, the Az Chapter of Sierra Club recognizes the importance of managing wildlife under the North American model, and are have been supportive of the Commission and Az Game and Fish and are fairly moderate when it comes to activism.

I do agree with you regarding John Muirs original intent of founding the Sierra Club vs where it is now. However, as a sportsman Id rather have the Az chapter of Sierra Club than the California Chapter.

I am supportive of finding a way to manage the bison on the park, but McCain did muddy the water by getting involved in something that was already going through the proper process. If the impact analysis stayed at a local level, it may have avoided national attention, perhaps minimizing the negative comments that could flood in from across the country about hunting in national parks, this has happened in other national parks when they are faced with managing a critter they don't want to, and end up having to use more expensive non lethal methods.

What happens if his bill doesn't pass but the park service still wants/needs to move the EIS forward but now it stalls due to the recent spotlight and then subsequent negative and political pressure, then there isn't any progress and bison continue to be a problem.

The best that could come out the bill is that it will pass and facilitate the process of turning over carcasses to the public, whether it's hunters or folks in need of food.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more. Within the last few years that I've been paying attention at least, the Az Chapter of Sierra Club recognizes the importance of managing wildlife under the North American model, and are have been supportive of the Commission and Az Game and Fish and are fairly moderate when it comes to activism.

I do agree with you regarding John Muirs original intent of founding the Sierra Club vs where it is now. However, as a sportsman Id rather have the Az chapter of Sierra Club than the California Chapter.

I am supportive of finding a way to manage the bison on the park, but McCain did muddy the water by getting involved in something that was already going through the proper process. If the impact analysis stayed at a local level, it may have avoided national attention, perhaps minimizing the negative comments that could flood in from across the country about hunting in national parks, this has happened in other national parks when they are faced with managing a critter they don't want to, and end up having to use more expensive non lethal methods.

What happens if his bill doesn't pass but the park service still wants/needs to move the EIS forward but now it stalls due to the recent spotlight and then subsequent negative and political pressure, then there isn't any progress and bison continue to be a problem.

The best that could come out the bill is that it will pass and facilitate the process of turning over carcasses to the public, whether it's hunters or folks in need of food.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I've been to enough Commission meetings to hear plenty of their knee jerk rhetoric. Frankly it makes me want to vomit! They are consistently on the wrong side of the issues. Case in point Proposition 109 Arizona's Right to Hunt and Fish. Sierra Club was opposed. They were so off the mark its not even funny. Have a nice day!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/01/31/20100131politics-hunting0131.html

Nick

I don't think Harry Reid will be an issue for the Sportsmen's bill amendment. If I remember correctly he sponsored it when USO was causing all that grief. The Sierra Club has actually polluted and desecrated the portion of AZ that I travel. The Salt River rest area was closed by threat of lawsuit from them because they said it was to close to the river. This rest area was/is as eco-friendly as any place in the world with solar lighting and a Swedish septic system. Now because of the threat of a law suit by the Sierra Club go to any pull out on either side of the Canyon and check out the filth and human waste. Looking at that you can honestly say the Sierra Club is not for the environment.

Is this dead? Anybody know? I heard on NPR the park service had rounded up some out of the park and trucked them down to the house rock. I figure it should take about a day and a half for them to walk back.

"I don't think Harry Reid will be an issue for the Sportsmen's bill amendment. If I remember correctly he sponsored it when USO was causing all that grief. The Sierra Club has actually polluted and desecrated the portion of AZ that I travel. The Salt River rest area was closed by threat of lawsuit from them because they said it was to close to the river. This rest area was/is as eco-friendly as any place in the world with solar lighting and a Swedish septic system. Now because of the threat of a law suit by the Sierra Club go to any pull out on either side of the Canyon and check out the filth and human waste. Looking at that you can honestly say the Sierra Club is not for the environment."

One of the Show Low radio stations announced this week that the rest area in Salt River Canyon was being refurbished and should reopen in 2015. Also, I read somewhere that a sportsman's bill died in the Senate recently when someone added gun control provisions to the bill. Don't know how accurate either report is.

Bill Quimby

I was just up there yesterday and 300+ buffalo were north of the National Park on the North Kaibab Forest.

I was also told by park personnel that the USFWS and National Park sercice was trapping the Buffalo in the Park. They had steel pens set up with bait in them to catch the buffalo. What was happening to the buffalo was unknown. The park personal I talked to said they had closed the road that led in towards the pens so no one could see what was happening.

post-565-0-28120600-1405828207_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-58025200-1405828235_thumb.jpg

They will NEVER allow any type of sportsman related hunt on that herd in the park. It can only end bad for the buffalo..

AZLance, Bait? I thought that was illegal now? Oh yeah, they don't have to follow the rules...like shooting a elk with someone else's tag...

• Like 1